The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
big fishy
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting my Jr controller with the Ph probe I have been watching my Ph reading. I know there are swings in your Ph from when your lights are on and when they are off but is a swing from 7.9-8.3 normal? This seems to be a large variation and was was wondering what others see.

Ken

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
You might want to drip some kalk at night to keep it up. I have personally had swings like that and never had a problem. Right know I see a swing of about 7.85-8.19 and everything is fine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
yeah, the swings are normal... hwt you can do if you have a refugium with lights, is run them on alternate cycles to minimize the swings....

·
Registered
284 Posts
i have mines on a reverse cycle and i still get swings... from 7.7 at night to 8.2 during the day but also im still trying to figure out my calcium reactor :/

·
Registered
363 Posts
darasy said:
i have mines on a reverse cycle and i still get swings... from 7.7 at night to 8.2 during the day but also im still trying to figure out my calcium reactor :/
Do you know what the swings would be if you didn't have them on a reverse cycle?

·
Registered
284 Posts
i dunno i got a ph probe when i bought the CalRX and i already had my sump set up as a reverse cycle so i never felt inclined to run experiments hmmm maybe i will tomorrow

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd be interested to see how big a differnce there actually is........ I'd think to eliminate any swings, the two tanks would have to be the same size with the same lighting.....

·
big fishy
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cylenchar said:
I'd be interested to see how big a differnce there actually is........ I'd think to eliminate any swings, the two tanks would have to be the same size with the same lighting.....
I may test this also becuase my sump lights are on a reverse cycle from the main lights, but we are talking 72w PC over the sump vs 2x250 MH on the tank.
I knew people were seeing swings but I wasnt sure how big of a swing they are seeing. Sounds like my tank is pretty much in line with what others are experiencing.

Thanks for the replys everyone
Ken

·
1,035 Posts
those kinds of swings are not that uncommon. Like John said dripping kalk at night will help. Using a reverse photo period refugium would work too.

·
big fishy
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dirk, Im just going to leave it as it is since I havent been having any problems. This is one of the draws backs to getting the different monitors. "Micro monitoring " and worrying about things I wouldnt normally worry about on a day to day basis because now I can continually see the Ph level.
Before the controller I would test PH maybe once a month. I usually go by how the tank looks and if it isnt looking right I will then test to see if there is anything wrong. As long as i know my readings are not way out of line and the tankislooking good I'm happy.

Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts