The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125 gallon tank that I am having problems with my pH. When I test using a liquid test kit it tests at 7.8 but when I tested with a strip test it tests at 8.4..I can't figure out which is more accurate. I think the lower one is more accurate b/c my pulsing zenia and pink anthia have declined severly over the last few weeks. I tried using the Oceans Blend pt 1&2 but I stopped b/c it was causing too much fluctuation in the pH. My ammonia/nitrates/nitrites are 0. Anybody having any suggestions?

·
Registered
720 Posts
We just bought a pinpoint pH monitor (as advised by posters on this forum) and I'm glad because the test strips were totally worthless! They read off the charts (above 8.3) every time. The monitor shows 7.9 in the morning, gradually raising to 8.2 by the time the lights go off. Great investment!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
when are you testing the pH? it changes during the day. the more sand you have the more it will change also. having a low around 7.8 in the morning is not uncommon with a high around 8.2 by lights off. how much flow do you have in the tank? is your waters surface aggitated? most of the time low pH is caused by CO2 buildup in the tank. aggitating the waters surface can significantly help in getting the CO2 out of the system.

getting a pH monitor is helpfull.

G~

·
Registered
853 Posts
We just bought a pinpoint pH monitor (as advised by posters on this forum) and I'm glad because the test strips were totally worthless! They read off the charts (above 8.3) every time. The monitor shows 7.9 in the morning, gradually raising to 8.2 by the time the lights go off. Great investment!
how much did you pay for it and whats the web site to order it?

thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess its time to get the other powerheads I have been putting off...I only have one powerhead plus the outflow from sump. Would you suggest 1 or 2 more powerheads? The pH test about the same whether in the am or pm..I'll try to add the powerheads and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Indeed, if you do not have good circulation in a tank, the pH will differ the further down in the water column you go, becoming more acidic at the bottom rather than the top. This was one of my first lessons in my reef when I added more powerheads in my small tank. The pH changed quite a bit rapidly when I began to move that water. Anyhow, a Pinpoint is a wise investment as well as a refractometer. These are two instruments that you will use almost daily unlike many of the items we tend to buy and not use often.

-Ken

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
how much did you pay for it and whats the web site to order it?

thanks
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps/ps_searchItem.aspx?IdCategory=&SearchText=Pinpoint pH monitor

May seem pricey, but it's TOTALLY well worth it. A pH monitor will give you a MUCH better understanding of your system. And is a million times more accurate and reliable than any test kit out there.

Stick with Pinpoint monitors. Other brands may be considerably cheaper, but are either not as accurate, or need calibrated MUCH more frequently. I had a milwakee monitor which was almost half the price, but it's values would start to skew in under 2 weeks. My Pinpoint I calibrate once every 2 months...and even then it's rarely every off by more than .02!

a good FAQ on pH:

http://thereeftank.com/forums/plain.php?page=/faqs/Water_Testing_FAQ.html#pH

·
Registered
853 Posts
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps/ps_searchItem.aspx?IdCategory=&SearchText=Pinpoint pH monitor

May seem pricey, but it's TOTALLY well worth it. A pH monitor will give you a MUCH better understanding of your system. And is a million times more accurate and reliable than any test kit out there.

Stick with Pinpoint monitors. Other brands may be considerably cheaper, but are either not as accurate, or need calibrated MUCH more frequently. I had a milwakee monitor which was almost half the price, but it's values would start to skew in under 2 weeks. My Pinpoint I calibrate once every 2 months...and even then it's rarely every off by more than .02!

a good FAQ on pH:

http://thereeftank.com/forums/plain.php?page=/faqs/Water_Testing_FAQ.html#pH
thanks i just ordered it, i got the second one with the swipe kit and ac adapter.. anything i should know about it? does it stay in your tank? or you just use it as you test?

·
Registered
853 Posts
whats the electrode probe for that is sold seperate?.. i got the $94 one

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
The probe stays submerged in your sump/overflow/wherever constantly. The probe shouldn't be out of liquid for more than a few minutes.

You will get constant pH readings!

Probably wanna order some calibration soultion while you're at it. (7.0 and 10.0...you'll need 1 of each eveyr time you calibrate which should be every 2 months or so).

Every 18 months or so, you'll need to buy a new probe (the pen-shaped object that goes in the water). This is the recommended time for replacement. Some last much longer.

Keep the questions coming. You're gonna be so happy you bought this!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Second what Skeety said and purchasing extra calibration fluid is a must. It is very cheap. I would go one step further and suggest purchasing 5 or 6 "pairs" of 7 and 10 fluid packs. There are two flavors of calibration fluid...the bottles which can be used for many different calibration attempts (fill a glass with the fluid and calibrate normally) or the single use packets. I have found that I am a bit messy and the packets are nice because u simply clean the probe, hack off a packet end and begin calibration...then the packet away when done. This eliminates the fluid becoming corrupted in some manner before you use it.

-Ken

·
Registered
853 Posts
The probe stays submerged in your sump/overflow/wherever constantly. The probe shouldn't be out of liquid for more than a few minutes.

You will get constant pH readings!

Probably wanna order some calibration soultion while you're at it. (7.0 and 10.0...you'll need 1 of each eveyr time you calibrate which should be every 2 months or so).

Every 18 months or so, you'll need to buy a new probe (the pen-shaped object that goes in the water). This is the recommended time for replacement. Some last much longer.

Keep the questions coming. You're gonna be so happy you bought this!!
thanks for your help. i just got it in the mail today and im in the middle of hooking it up...i calibrated it.both test read 7 and 10 :)..my didital read out is saying 7.9..its 3pm..my mh just kicked on about 30 min ago and my vho's kicked on 11am and 1pm..i have 2 sets of vho's..should this reading be about right for the time period my lighting has been on?..my light cycle only stated about 3 hrs ago..i know further in the lighting cycle it should be higher?..how far is your probe in the tank?..is this ok?look at pics?

thanks for all of your help :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
bump

bump

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
you have a fairly closed house? (A/C running? none of your windows open?)

If so, that's a perfectly normal reading right at the beginning of your light cycle.

Starting at 7.9...I'd guess you'll be right around 8.15 or so right before the lights shut off.

over night, it'll drop back down to 7.9.

On a nice day, open all your windows and you'll notice a pretty big jump.

This is typical...and keep that in mind when trying to get your levels stable. Many people spend much money/time/etc trying to get the PERFECT pH range (8.1-8.3 or so)...when most of the time, you're fighting elevated CO2 levels in your home due to closed environment.

The key isn't so much WHAT the pH is...(as long as it's withing 0.3 or so of 8.0)...but more imporanant is a stable range. That the values are consistent during comparable times in the photoperiod!

Congrats on the probe! You're gonna love it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
853 Posts
ill comare my readings with the drip ph test and the new ph pinpoint later.. ill let you know how much a difference it was off or right on:thumbup:

·
Registered
853 Posts
do you have a sump?
yea, i have a sump..think it would be btter in my sump?and why??..the sump dosent have lights over it, whoudnt this make a difference?..

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
the water going THROUGH the sump comes from the tank with lights on it! ;)

It's just more hiddin in the sump. Up to you entirely.

·
Registered
853 Posts
i just compared my 2 test for ph..drip test and pinpoint ph test..they came out both about right!!..im sticking to the pinpoint though..its more accurite and i dont have to mess with drops any more:banana: ..thanks for all your help skeety:beer:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts