The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to my favorite forum in the world....okay so i only use one forum, but who's keeping track....

my new 55g is not behaving very well...its been running for 2 weeks and i'm having trouble getting my PH up and keeping my dKH down....

the running tally of tests....

4/2 (day 4)
ammo:0.5ppm
nitrite: <0.3ppm
nitrate: undetectable
Sg: 1.023
Ca: 300
Ph: 7.8
dKH: 8
temp: 77.2f
3 tsp Kent brand Super-buffer dKH added

4/6 (day 8)
ammo:0.25ppm
nitrite: 0.3ppm
nitrate: 10ppm
Ca: 340
Ph: 8.0
dKH: 13
temp: 77.7f
25% water change performed after this test
Liquid Ca added after WC

4/9 (day 11)
ammo: not tested
Sg: 1.024
Ca: 360
dKH: 10
temp: 77.5f
3 tsp Kent brand Super-buffer dKH added
5 ml Purple-up added

4/13 (day 15)
ammo: 0.25ppm
Ca: 380
dKH: 16
temp: 76.7f

note the lack of a magnesium test, i read in an old post that might contribute to a problem with dKH being low, but maybe it works in reverse too?

I use RO/DI commercially supplied water, no TDS test done by me, i've hit the wall on my budget for the months so no more equip for this build for a little while...Real Ocean salt mix for creating SW....ideas?

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the pH. 7.8 is fine. but before I go any further, what test kits are you using for pH and alk? And why are you dosing anything at this point?

733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why i dose....

i use API testing kits...

I am dosing the tank because i want to get the Ph to a level of 8.1-8.2...when the first test showed 7.8 and dKH of 8 i figured i would try to move the Ph to where it seems it would be on par with my current set-up to ease the transfer of the livestock when i move them in a few weeks (if i'm cycled by then)...i suppose that with the regular water changes it wastes some of my work, but trying to get the tank balanced seemed the right way to go

:stars::stars:

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
Just stop dosing anything and let everything settle in. Unless there is a real abnormality it should settle between 7.7 and 8.5. All of which is completely acceptable. trying to adjust your pH is probably what brought you here;) There is nothing to use the Ca and alk for the most part right now so you are merely raising levels and setting things out of whack:D

733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just stop dosing anything and let everything settle in. Unless there is a real abnormality it should settle between 7.7 and 8.5. All of which is completely acceptable.
roger dodger...i'll just focus on building my sump...:idea:

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
:lol: good plan;)

Also record the times you do your test and how far into the tank's light duration you are when you test. In the morning your pH should be the lowest and the pH should raise some over the period the lights are on. Mine starts the day at about 8.09 and tops out at about 8.29 just before the lights go out. It varies some day to day...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.