The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 55 gallon salt water tank I am learning to maintain on our own, the PH level was low at one time, so on the advise of an experienced tak owner, we brought the PH up using baking soda. Now the PH has creeped up to about the 8.2 to 8.4 level. We now have to lower it. How do we go about lowering it without completing a water change? Thanks!

· Registered
160 Posts
I think your pH range is good now I wouldn't add any more supplements.

Btw did you try to find out why it dropped in the first place. There are several causes, too much CO2 in the house, if its a new tank there's still a cycle going on, and also depends on when you measured it. pH will change on the time of day and how you have you lights timing set.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
You really do not need to do anything in regards to pH. pH can be a sign that something else is off but it rarely needs adjusting. pH varies throughout the day (high during the photoperiod, aka day, and low at night) and it also has a relationship with the amount of carbon dioxide within a home. The more insulated/closed off the house with more inhabitants, the lower the pH. As a result, you can have "low" pH at night party during a cold/hot spell of 7.7 and then when the next day comes around and you can open the windows, it could increase to 8.3 with no additions to the tank. Trying to raise/lower pH at the "wrong times" can be dangerous as the tank will react over time. Bumping the pH just before the lights come on can cause pH to increase a lot. It is best just to leave pH alone. It is something we can easily test for but there really is nothing to "correct" about it.

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

i would not worry about pH on a new system. as Future pointed out a pH below 8.0 tends to be a problem other than low alk. in new tanks it could very well be the bacteria producing high amounts of CO2 and just letting the bacteria settle out will fix the pH in due time.

G~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.