The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PH is at a 8.0 consistently. I bought an item that is supposed to raise PH but not affect the hardness or calcium. I add that and it will be up around 8.2 but within a day or two it is right back to the 8.0 consistently. My dkh is roughly a 10 so I think that is okay but my calcium seems high cannot rememeber the scale in my test kit but I believe it is over 500 ppm(520 ppm). I believe if calcium is high it will drive down my PH?

I have my tank specs listed under the tank specs forum. To give you quick information tank has been running for about a month now. So not sure if this is normal with a fairly new tank and this is something that will fix itself as the tank ages. 55 gal, live rock around 65 to 70LBS. Appreciate any advice.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
To start, there is nothing wrong with pH being 8.0. Corals/Fish are fine anyplace between about 7.8-8.5. With that being said, it is much better to have consistent pH than perfect pH. So with that said, stop dosing anything to try and get perfect pH. Dosing causes the pH to constantly change as you add chemicals and it jumps up then day by day falls back down then you dose again and it jumps up then day by day falls back down. Just let it settle where it wants to settle as long as its in that 7.8 to 8.5ish range.

Next, with your tank being only about a month old there are still a LOT of biological changes going on in your tank that will effect the pH. There is more going on than just the nitrogen cycle, so it is normal to see pH changes in young tanks. As the tank matures the pH will stabilize. There is good information in the RKME link in my signature discussing this.

Finally, if you can't be happy with a pH of 8.0 and must raise it to feel good about your tank then your best bet is to add oxygen to the tank. So to do this if you have a skimmer you should run an airline to the skimmer intake and run the line outdoors to get fresh air sucked in to the skimmer from outdoors. If you don't have a skimmer many powerheads have a way to attach an airline to them that you can draw fresh air from outside too. This is the safest and most natural way to increase your pH. Low pH can be due to too much CO2 in the room where the tank is at, so even opening a window can effect your pH by letting fresh air in to the room, but that's not always possible is why I'd say it is preferred to run the airline outdoors to pull in fresh air to the skimmer/powerhead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts