The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been monitoring my PH, it has been climbing slowlly and I have done nothing diff other than ocationally add the PArt a and part b buffer. I wake up this morning and PH on pinpoint is over 9. IS the only way to reduce PH, water changes? I have to fly out tomorrow for 2 days and I am scared that when I come back everything will be dead. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Question the probe first. I'd find another way to get a Ph reading, even if it's at an LFS.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Pinpoint makes good equip...but I'm with Butch on this one. How long has it been since you last calibrated it? How old is the probe? Might need recalibrated or even replaced.

Also...can you elaborate more on your dosing of the part A and B suppliments? Are you dosing all the time? Or only when needed? (i.e. What are your Ca and Alk values? over time?)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Pinpoint monitor also and have seen it at 9. after checking with test kit it is always around 8.4. I only use the pin point as a guide, if I want to know an accurate number I get out the test kit.:agree:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
definately test the probe. i had nearly this exact problem. i had a very odd grounding problem in the tank though. if i put the tank water in a glass and tested it using the probe it was accurate. if i put the probe in the tank itself it would read erroneous.

G~

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the posts, just got back and it turns out it was a false alarm Thank God. The baterry on the probe was almost dead.

Man what a relief!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts