The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had used the Seachem PH buffer in setting up my tank and doing the first few water changes, as well as using the 2-part B-ionic calcium buffer system. I then wound up with high alkalinity.

Since then, I have just used the calcium part of the B-Ionic, stopped using the alk part, and also stopped adding Seachem PH buffer for water changes.

My alk has dropped to nearly normal level. Calc is pretty good (almost 400) and PH is a little low (maybe 7.8-8.0).

Any ideas what I should be doing now? I can't tell whether the improved reduced alk level is due to not using the PH buffer or due to not using the alk part of B-Ionic. And is there something other than PH buffer I should do to get the PH to rise....or is everything OK as is?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
not a chem person, so this is my limited knowledge. when are you testing the pH? if it is in the morning then those values are not to bad. if in the evening then they are a low. before lights on my pH is that, but by the time the lights go out it is usually up near 8.2. try topping of with kalk water. this helps keep the Ca and the pH in check. i have found this is a great tool for keeping the chemisty of the aquarium in check.

G~

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Kalkwasser for all your top off

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
if things do not go back to were you want them. then i would try adding only one thing at a time. in my science world we only change one thng at a time that way you know if it is that or another. their is a slim.. chance that you have two things reacting at the same time. do you put both in at the same time?
sometimes one chemical will react with another one way if you mix them togeather. but if they are introduced to a diluted enviroment ( ph buffer already into tank for a while) then you may not have a bad reaction.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
before you start guessing at what might be wrong, a good battery of tests and some reading will be in order, as the alkalinity and Ca will follow a pretty much predetermined path, rather than being at the whims of the aquarium environment, A good overview will be at This thread on Calcium and alk variabilities and theory, and this thread for info on high and low ca/alk parameters by others and cures,