The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Reef Geek
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so obviously excessive CO2 in a tank creates carbonic acid thus lowering the pH. But if you have both low pH and low alkalinity will the alkalinity raise by correcting the low pH problem? For example, I added a CO2 scrubber to my skimmer. As the pH goes up from the absence of CO2 will the alkalinity raise on its own with the pH or will I still have to dose alkalinity to bring it back up to the adequate level?

· Just some guy, you know?
40,343 Posts
In sort, no. In fact by correcting the PH you will increase the coral growth and ALK uptake thereby making the problem worse lol.

You will need to dose ALK. You can do that pretty easy in the early days though. Baking Soda will raise it, and if you want to have a positive PH effect you could dose Baked Baking soda. Another thing you might want to try is Kalk, it raises PH, and supports both ALK and CA.

Whiskey

· Reef Geek
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In sort, no. In fact by correcting the PH you will increase the coral growth and ALK uptake thereby making the problem worse lol.

You will need to dose ALK. You can do that pretty easy in the early days though. Baking Soda will raise it, and if you want to have a positive PH effect you could dose Baked Baking soda. Another thing you might want to try is Kalk, it raises PH, and supports both ALK and CA.

Whiskey
But it wouldn't raise the alk in the solution correct? Right now I have no corals so the only thing that would be using alk is possibly coralline algae.

· Just some guy, you know?
40,343 Posts
But it wouldn't raise the alk in the solution correct? Right now I have no corals so the only thing that would be using alk is possibly coralline algae.
Bacterial processes also consume ALK. Pretty much every tank needs water changes with a higher alk salt (Like IO or RC that mix up in the 10-12 range, I forget exactly) or at least a small amount of dosing to keep it stable. Usually if your using something like TM Pro Reef that mixes in the 7 range, you keep your tank there and have dosers setup so you're not really relying on the salt for buffering major elements.

Whiskey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts