The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a great deal but I have a question... what do you guys do about the glass used to cover the top of the tank so that the fish wont jump out i didnt realize it until after I got home but then i was like wow no glass tank top cover.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had a similar question earlier. I just used eggcrate as suggested by many. It worked out well. Find it in the fluorescent lighting section at your local hardware store. It works well. I've actually never seen a glass lid on the top of a tank before btw? Typically I would see those hokey lids with the trap doors on the front and basic fluorescent in the back.

EDIT: It's definitely going on here in Jacksonville, FL. Think it may be nationwide, Petco is who is doing it. It's $1/gal up to 55gal. Was talking to Jason today and he said you save a ton on the breeder tanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's going on in Houston right now too.

I use a glass tank cover that my light sits on but the salt likes to eat at/make brittle the plastic hinge so they always break in two. I am eventually going to buy a light mount and use egg crate though. (that stuff is so diverse! I made a test tube holder out of some today!)

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
it is nation wide, and i think it was last sunday???? i use glass tops for my tank. just to keep water from collecting on my lights. it also helps with evaporation.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm ok thanks for the replies guys yea the missing glass top is definately a OMG are you serious moment for me ... lol

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
one more thing. you can go to your local hardware store and get a 1/8 inch glass cut to size for cheap. i got 2x 24" by 9" for like 7$

·
Super Moderator
22,111 Posts
one more thing. you can go to your local hardware store and get a 1/8 inch glass cut to size for cheap. i got 2x 24" by 9" for like 7$
Not so sure you'd want to have a solid tank cover over the entire tank IMO.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but the one that sticks in my head is wanting oxy/gas exchange at the surface of the tank.

Salt creep and evaporation are just something we all have to live with , i suppose.

I have to admit i have had glass hinged covers on a few tanks in the past, but can't say i've notice any on any tanks i've seen in a long time.

Don't get me wrong, i am fully aware of fish and other critters taking up carpet surfing, but IMO,totally covering(sealing) a tank is probably not the best thing for the overall conditions.

·
Super Moderator
22,111 Posts
Ok I will give this a try I wonder if home depot offers something like that?
Not sure on that, but i'm fairly certain the "smaller" places like Ace/True Value kinda stores more than likely offer glass cutting services, along with Mom/Pop stores also (not like there are many of those around anymore :(.)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL @ carpet surfing b ut yea I guess that makes since since mostly all tanks come with some sort of opening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts