The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a new favia war coral yesterday and did a bit of reading about them and found out that at night they have tentacles that come out around the eyes.

So i put on the flash light to look at it, and immediately 3-4 very small (id say about 1/4" or smaller) orange colored worms and a couple even smaller light green worms swam right up to the light.

When i say swam it was kinda crazy it looked like they were able to twirll there bodies almost like a corkscrew except extremely fast that allowed them to swim. I brought the light down to the sand and they hit the sand and very ineffectively tried burrowing in the sand, however i got a closer look and they seem almost smooth. I was looking for bristles thinking they might be baby bristle worms but im not sure.

They didnt have any legs that were noticeable at all so i assume that rules out any type of pod?

My cameras a PoS so sorry for not including any pictures i hope my description can ring a bell with anyone who knows what these are.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
I've seen a worm similar to what you are describing I think. I ended up catching it. I'm not positive if it's the same thing but I would say it's probably harmless. Most small worms in this hobby are just little detritus scavengers and such that won't harm your other livestock at all. Do you recall any specific features of the worms that may help ID them aside from their corkscrew swimming pattern?

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
oops! sorry too slow :doh: edited my last post to add the thread, 'cause tdwyatt gave some links to worm articles, if you're interested.

happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Random, thanks for posting the link, I was getting ready to post it as I read down through the thread.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts