The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am completely new to salt water tanks but I had an idea that could save me, and potentially make me money with DIY live rock. I have actually never done a SW aquarium before but I have been researching (obsessing) for a while now and feel like I have learned enough to get a biocube 29 and at least start cycling it. The time it takes to cycle is just more time to read up on these forums and do more research. Anyway, I was wondering if I could save money by buying a few lbs of live rock and seed it to some DIY rock (GARF method) in a gallon bucket. I drew up a VERY crude plan of how I could do this. Once I establish my tank this can be a constant side project that produces more and more live rock for me at little cost.

PLAN:
Create a self sustaining system that will seed DIY rock (portland cement and crushed coral) so that I will have a constant supply of new live rock.

The gallon bucket has 3 drilled holes in it.
The first is a drain at the bottom with a ball valve so I can do a quick water swap.
The second is an outlet to pump water out of the bucket, and then back in the top wall through the 3rd hole. (This will keep the water oxygenated)

The live rock and homemade rock will fill the bucket up half way.

The pump will be located near the bottom to ensure proper water circulation to rocks near the bottom.

The lid will be transparent so that a light, perhaps CFL, will provide energy to photosynthetic organisms.

Also a heater will need to go in it (which I forgot to include in the drawing)

Any suggestions on this idea? Also, how long does it take for the new rock to become "live" and tank ready?

If this works it would save me A BUNCH of money on LR. Who wants to pay 10 bucks a lb when you can make it for a fraction of the cost. Perhaps even sell the new rock back to LFS??

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would LOVE suggestions on how to do this. Perhaps people have done this already and have better ideas for the same goal.

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
it should work although you can just get all base or dead or diy rock, put it in your tank, add one piece of lr and a dead shrimp and it will all be live very soon, once your tank has enough you dont need anymore

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

the bacteria will colonize on anything. bacteria are what drive out systems and keep them stable. your idea should work just fine. for allowing colonization of any media.

using base rock is more commonly done though. instead of using the DIY LR they just place the base rock in the system. the bacteria will quickly colonize.

in order to increase any population you need to feed. if there is not a source of new food in the system then the bacterial population will not increase. this just means you need to feed this system to keep increasing the population of bacteria.

G~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts