The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay I was wondering were do you get a permit to sale corals and fish?
like if I was to start my own business.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Retired Wanderer
17,333 Posts
Hay I was wondering were do you get a permit to sale corals and fish?
like if I was to start my own business.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I do know that first of all you need to get a local license down at City Hall. You might also need to do a fictitous business name which is anything besides your name. They make you take out an ad so I think when I had my own biomedical service company it was 75 bucks for the whole thing.

Running a business as well you can take something like 3 years out of 5 as a hobby loss but you need to show a profit the other couple of years to start deducting stuff. This is where an hour of CPA time might be worth a lot of headaches in the future. You do not want IRS trouble when you screw up your taxes as an independent contractor (trust me...all I'm gonna say).

As for selling livestock there are no doubt a myriad of state and federal regs to be mindful of, but I would imagine that your wholesalers will have a line on this. Call some and see how much you have to commit to and what they require. I don't think they will want a middleman that moves six fish a month, so this might take a chunk of your own coin to get going.

Good luck with your venture, and do a LOT of homework.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
In short.......yes. Depends on your state. BUT, im sure you will need to. Its pretty stict in Florida. Theres a HUGE fine if you get cought pulling out mangroves from the beach. seeds are game......but if they have rooted its illegal, at least thats what I was told by local authorities.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well what I wanted to do is buy corals and anemones from over seas and than sale them to people in the U.S.

·
Administrator
47,222 Posts
well what I wanted to do is buy corals and anemones from over seas and than sale them to people in the U.S.
In that case you would need an importers license, a highly regulated and expensive proposition. Then you would need a supplier over seas to sell to you, most sell to major importers because of the volume needed to make the high shipping costs worth while, plus they already have all the Customs, Dept of Fish and Wildlife, and all the other permits needed to bring stuff in.
Given all that you are better off to get a business license and buy from a wholesaler

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
In your case, what you would need to do is contact a transhipper. They take care of all the import paperwork. You still need to be a licensed reseller and will need the appropriate resale permits depending on your state. Here is one company so you can get a feel for what's involved.
http://www.golden-ina.com/register.asp

Purchasing from wholesalers is the most commonly used option but you will pay for the middleman's markup. Again, you will need to be properly permitted. Many wholesalers won't sell to non brick and mortar businesses. This means you must own a retail store that is open to the public. Many will even require pictures of your up and running business or storefront. This came about due to the web selling craze where local fish stores were being hurt by website owners selling stuff out of there garage. You won't find a good wholesaler who will sell to a non retail store owner even if they have the proper permits.

In truth, this is a much more difficult business than many hobbyist realize. The fact that you can successfully keep a reef tank alive means little in the business side of an LFS or web reselling. Many LFS's fail because they are owned by experienced hobbyists who are not experienced businessmen. If you are serious about going into business, try to get involved at your LFS first. This will give you some valuable insight of how the business side of hobby works.

·
Administrator
47,222 Posts
In your case, what you would need to do is contact a transhipper. They take care of all the import paperwork. You still need to be a licensed reseller and will need the appropriate resale permits depending on your state. Here is one company so you can get a feel for what's involved.
http://www.golden-ina.com/register.asp

Purchasing from wholesalers is the most commonly used option but you will pay for the middleman's markup. Again, you will need to be properly permitted. Many wholesalers won't sell to non brick and mortar businesses. This means you must own a retail store that is open to the public. Many will even require pictures of your up and running business or storefront. This came about due to the web selling craze where local fish stores were being hurt by website owners selling stuff out of there garage. You won't find a good wholesaler who will sell to a non retail store owner even if they have the proper permits.

In truth, this is a much more difficult business than many hobbyist realize. The fact that you can successfully keep a reef tank alive means little in the business side of an LFS or web reselling. Many LFS's fail because they are owned by experienced hobbyists who are not experienced businessmen. If you are serious about going into business, try to get involved at your LFS first. This will give you some valuable insight of how the business side of hobby works.
I agree with what Jadinop said, It's pretty complicated, I recommend if you want to go into business at some point, work in the business and take all the business classes you can

1 - 9 of 9 Posts