The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my clowns are only small babies I guess but something is strange, I guess it's strange, they are always playing with each other? The Percula clown lets the tomato do anything to him or her, rubbing, pushing opening mouth and touching him/her without hurting the fish!! All the time my flame hawk watches this looking at them like he wants to play, I mean he is right underneith them watching, eyes going back and forth its pretty funny. Oh and the flame hawk hangs out with them all the time. Anyway can someone tell whats happening, is there a good chance that the are male and female??

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,340 Posts
Odd..... usually different types of clowns don't really like each other... Perhaps since you had them both since they were very young that they get along...

I had a cinnamon that used to terrorize my percs...

Just keep an eye out to make sure it doesn't get violent...

·
Administrator
61,131 Posts
If the clown fish are still babies,. you aint tarted to have fun yet. They will grow to bicker, the chances of t hem getting along to hybridize are slim
Clownfish as a rule start out as males and the Alpha fish becomes the female, the next in line becomes the beta male and the odd ones out in small closed systems DIE. In aquariums they either establish a neutral territoy and behave or kill one another, sorry, they are not cute like the PIXAR cartoon, A coral reef in the wild is one of the most violent environments on earth. The flight deck of an aircraft carrier is in comparison tame, and that is considered one of the most hazarous occupations around. Tho I think they probably have no index to guage Spec Ops troops doing what they do. Not to detract from the nasty world carrier ops crews live in, I doubt that there is a plane Capt or LSO or cat watcher that would trade places with a Path finder,MarineRecon, LURP , or Ranger standin on the skids with 100#+ on there backs and the fire in their gut.

·
Registered
163 Posts
like doug1 said, watch out when they get older, ive been extremely lucky with a maroon, 2 percs and a cinnamon. They are good size, at least to me, but not everyone has luck like i do, just watch the fish closely as they get older, what size tank do u have? do u have caves and hiding places from your live rock? do u have any more fish?

Brandon

·
NewfieReefer
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys I will keep my eye on them and lets hope with them being small that they do grow up together likeing each other. Could they breed?? I guess they are male and female, right?:confused:

DERM

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
if they are babies they are neither male nor female.

well, actually they are both males.

IF...very big IF, if they become a mated pair, then the dominant (larger) one will become female.

dont know if it's possible for interspecies mating of clowns, but it would make for a cool lookin offspring if it happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.