The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone clear up the difference between the Percula and the Ocellaris Clown? Sometimes they're portrayed as the same speciies; or the Percula is the False Ocellaris, or the Ocellaris is the False Percula....
(my heads spinning) Is there a difference in the species, and more importantly, which is the "better" tankmate?

thanks

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
bump :beer:

I was always afraid to ask this but gotta know.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
the typically ( used loosely) Ocellaris is the clown that you see everwhere , book, pictures, tv , movies.. shirt.. dont really matter where.. but it noramlly has 3 white stripes witha black boarder. the confusion comes in to play with e striping . the A.percula has the wider ( hard to tell sometimes) bands on it.the Ocellaris is the better of the two i think.

A.Ocellaris

A.Percula

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
now both of these guys are not the greatest of swimmers and like ot stay closer to there homes. they an get territorial big time. ask anyone who has one.try cleaning the tank. the little buggers will come at ya .. belive it or not it does hurt.
food wise, blender mush, flakes, pellets.. just about anything they will eat.
as far as hosting. DON'T force a hosting, if they want to host with something let them

oh back to teling the differace
The difference is in the number of dorsal spines (11 for A. ocellaris, and 10 or 9 for A. percula), the anterior part of the dorsal fins is taller in A. ocellaris, and A. ocellaris never have a thick black margin around the three white bars

but as people start breeding more and more and playing with the gen. makeup you may or may not find it harder to tell. look at someof the newer morphs coming out.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I have two true perculas and their white stripes are bordered by more black than the false ones I've seen. They seem a matched pair but have never spawned to my knowledge. They are not aggressive at all and have been very healthy.

HHC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts