The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today I purchased a Percula Clown (about the size of a nickle), a Watchman Goby, and a Feather Duster... i Have been doing research on what to feed them and got the same product the LFS was feeding them i was just wondering the best way to feed them that will give me the least ammount of food left over and also i was wondering how often they all need to be feeded.

This is what i have:
Tetra Min PRO tropical crisps
Tetra Marine- marine Granules
Nutrafin Max plus- Brine shrimp flakes with bitz of freeze dried shrimp
Also some Frozen food

I started out with just two small flakes of the crisps and dunked them in the water right infront of the clown once i released it he ate one flake and the other went to the bottom and was sucked up by the Goby. I did this again but the clown turned away and both flakes went to the ground. I have gotten my Skunk Shrimp to eat out of my hand and the Clown nibbled alittle as well of the Nutrafin Max Brine Shrimp Flakes. The LFS told me that i should supply a variety of diet for them so i thought i would try two of the Granules and nobody ate those as far as i could see. No frozen tonight figured i should see how to do it right first.

Also i had a question on what a Feather Duster likes to eat. For my shrooms and zoos rock I have:
Kent Marine: Zooplex: Chromaplex: microvert
which i do everyother day with direct application

i tried doing a targeted application of a small ammount of zooplex on the feather duster but any applicator or hand that gets near he just shoots back in should i be feeding him something else??

And one more thing i was just wondering if i should have my 15 minute interval power head on throughout the night or should i shut it off during the night... I can kinda still see in the tank at night when i watch television and watched my Percula and acted like he could not stop swimming?? Just wondering if later at night he might stop and go to sleep?? just wondering! Thanks for any input and i will have pics soon!

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
you could turn off the power head at night if you wish. As far as feeding the feather duster, they are filter feeders, so you really dont need to spot feed them. If you really want try some marine snow or something like that, something you just put into the water, and does not add excess nutrients. How big is your tank again? P.S. you should for sure come over this weekend cause I have some really cool zoa's for sale, you can come marvel at all of my corals!! lol. Also what lfs did you get them from...(please dont say petsmart, please dont say petsmart, please dont say petsmart).lol. Oh, and if you want to buy a food that is good for all the inhabitants of your tank, get some cyclopeeze, good for fish and corals!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm Sure we will try to be stopping by... Thanks for the invite! We will be around Lakeland/ afton from 10 a.m. until about 5 p.m. since i will have to be back to work that night (oh yeah we are coming on sat.) A good time for you?? I will have to take some new pics of the tank cause i don't know how much more rock I can take lol since it is only a 10 gallon.

Is there a way to tell if there is too much movement and the fish can't rest??
I might try turning off the power head for 4-5 hours at night and then like and hour during feeding time correct?
NO NOT PETSMART lol the only thing I buy there is feeder tuffy's for my eels (5) in my brackish tank. Hatty342 and I are loyal Wet Worldians lol i.e. Wet World. Do you go over to Angels in Hudson? Wetworld is almost the same size but with all of angels displays plus two 150 gallon display tanks and acouple different 120's (bow, Wave, Rectangle)

I think i might try longer intervals on my powerhead, now that i have the feather duster in there I can really see how much the water moves. maybe 30min off 15 on 30 off 15 on then an hour for feeding and 5-6 hours at night off to start off with and see how everything goes!

Thanks for the input thus far!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which thing? The feather Duster? still give flakes to the goby and skunk? really i guess the question is how often more than what i should feed them... Thanks though i will go and pick up some cyclopseeze for him.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I would avoid the flake foods and the granules. Flake food is notorious for phosphates especially starting out, the last thing you want to do is fuel the fire for a potential algae fest.....

Frozen Mysis are good protein source. I like to dethaw/rinse in some ro water ( to get rid of any potential phosphates ) then add some selcon ( or off brand equivilent ).

Feather Dusters do not require any special feedings.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
I have a bottle of chromaplex and about twice a week I give my tank a few drops on both sides... I can see my dusters react not long after. I'm sure it goes around in the tank to benefit the zoos and shrooms.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol loverotties I had to get up early for a store meeting this morning and saw that you had almost every new post of almost every new thread out there i guess we know when you come out of the woodwork lol jj which happens to be 4:31 A.M.!!! here!!!
Thanks guys but still one question goes un answered... How often on the Frozen Mysis (which i have already) and yesterday it was tedious but i fed the Goby, Skunk Shrimp, and Percula all by hand making sure that they ate every piece still a good idea to do that maybe once or twice a week for different diet foods?
thanks for everyones help thus far!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts