The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OH Noooo!! I am really bumbed out :(

The clean up crew from etropicals arrived today. I got 6 Astraea Turbos, 10 Bumble Bees, 4 Ceriths, 2 Green Lettuce nudis, 10 Nassarius, 4 Peppermints, 1 Turbo (Turbo fluctuosus , and a Serpent Sea Star. I carefully followd the acclimation procedure to the letter.

I kept the tank lights off for 4 hours so that the new inhabitant could get used to their new home. I turned on the lights and looked around to see where everyone was. I was horrified to see what looked like a delicate red leg floating around which Ms Stripe (the tomato clown) quickly gobbled up. I thought, well maybe it was something else..... Then I saw 1/2 of a shrimp in the chops of Mr. Spot (the wrasse) who finished gulping down a sumptuous repast like he had never had. :eek: :eek:

Oh geeze- I think I know what happened. The shy shrimp hid in the cave where Mr. Spot and Ms Stripe regularly camp out and they were an easy meal for the newbies. Those poor unsuspecting shrimp didn't have a chance...no way could they get out of that cave fast enough.

Waaaahhhhh!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Look on the bright side...

now you don't have to feed the wrasse and clown for a few days.. :(

·
Registered
986 Posts
Or......maybe you should have fed them a few days ago.... :rolleyes: j/k

Sorry to hear about your shrimps, Cath.
I really love those little critters!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
That is one reason I got rid of my puffer before adding peppermint shrimp!;)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Well shoot! :(

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Alice I can't stand your long reply!!!;) :D

·
Registered
842 Posts
If it makes you feel any better my peppermint shrimp once ate about 20 bangaii fry. I had a breeder net handing on the tank and they climbed right inside the thing and had a feast!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Many times Lysmata spp will molt right after shipping due to shipping stress, etc. and if yer lucky, that is what it was. You can bet yur wrasse that it prolly did not actively kill the shrimp, more likely, it died due to shipping and was consumed as dead meat by the H. trispilus wrasse that you have. Although as they get larger, they will actively kill shrimp, unless the shrimp was VERY small or your wrasse has gotten very big, it is prolly not capable of catching the shrimps (but I could be TOTALLY WRONG on this :( )

·
Registered
559 Posts
I feel the pain I got to sit and watch as my eel make a snack of the new peppermint I got. The poor thing didn't even last 20 minutes after he was in the tank but the eel hade a heck of a time catching it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a dumb squriel fish that ate a large peppermint and in my irritation I said I hope you choak to death....it did.

be careful what you wish for.

·
Super Moderator
28,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ziggy said:
I had a dumb squriel fish that ate a large peppermint and in my irritation I said I hope you choak to death....it did.

be careful what you wish for.
EWWWWWWWWWwwwwww!

Thanks for the warning ziggy :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.