The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ho - My peppermint shrimp have been slowly, but surely disappearing. First, the 2 largest dissapeared (pregnant and all), later a small one went too close to a coral and was stung senseless and died, but the other 4 have, one by one, disappeared.

I have a red sea max - totally enclosed. 34 gal + 2 with an external eheim for fun. Water perams are amon, nitrates and nititrites all 0. Cal is 450. I have other fish - all fine, other inverts, all fine, and corals - all growing like crazy.

No sounds that would make me think I have a rogue predatory shrimp, but then again, I'm new to this. Any ideas?

I've been watching the tank at night and see no obvious issue.

Of 6, only one is left (we saw him last night, but he is no longer in the areas he used to be)- and none of the bodies or body parts have appeared (with the exeption of the coral wanderer). Happy saturday.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,222 Posts
My peppermints vanished too. I have a coral banded, skunk cleaner and fire shrimp that are all doing fine.

I'll be taking a look at this thread and see if anyone comes up with something. :dance:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
don't worry you are not the only one to lose a few peppermints... very rarely one will make it a year or so... but i find a lot of time they eat all the aiptasia and just disappear... check around at night as they hide pretty well and some are very nocturnal.

·
Learn something every day
671 Posts
What kind of fish do you have? Many love shrimp as part of their diet!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 2 false percs, fuschia fish, dwarf angel, yellow goby, 2 new mandarins. The most agressive is the fushcia - but the goby keeps him in line. The clowns are very docile - and all are smaller than the first 2 shrimp that disappeared.

The shrimp had all molted at various times, but up until the time they disappeared, they still liked to be out in public - choosing open areas to hover for the day and late at night. They might go away for a day or so, but come right back. Now, they aren't even out at night.

I also had 2 sexy shrimp that have also disappeared. Sigh... they were soooo cute! :-(

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ive had similar results with my MAX. 2 Cleaners and 1 fire gone.. My pistol shrimp is very hardy though. maybe a good possible suggestion if you are set on keeping shrimp. The Yellow Goby will probably pair up with it.. Might want to check on that though .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts