The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I know nothing!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm guilty of it yet again, a impulse buy from the LFS. I was hoping to get either a skunk cleaner shrimp or a scarlet cleaner shrimp, but the store was sold out. But they had many true peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemani) and on ale to boot at $4.00 each. I've had one before and don't remember it bothering anything, but I just bought a Beautiful Zoo rock, and my GSP is starting to recover from hair algea invasions, as well as many other soft corals I didn't have before. I've read 20 or 30 different pages and about 5 out of 6 say they are perfectly safe in a reef system, but 1 out of 6 says they sometimes bother Poylp corals, so they will stay in a 'fuge for the night. What have you experianced? Reef safe or not?
I don't trust some of the sites that said they are, as they also said that camel shrimp were reef safe, and I Know that not to be true.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
27,070 Posts
Chris - I've always found lysmata wurdemanni were reef safe, and never had any trouble with the ones that I bought. But early on in my learning process of buying, I realized that the $4 shrimp that the store told me was a pepp was really a camel. Boy, was I steamed :angry: Luckily a crabzilla that was in my tank took care of that guy as a midnight snack.

·
I know nothing!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've raised camel shrimp before, and know very well the differences between the Camels that are sold as peppermints, and true peppermints L.wurdemanni. That's why I was so suprised to see them for only $4.00

·
I know nothing!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, A more acurate statement would be I attempted to raise camel shrimp. I know they are considered demon spawn, but I wanted to practice before spending a lot of money on more expencive shrimp. I found a female Camel with eggs for $1.99, and figured give it a shot. The fry Lived a week, however I learned a lot from the experiance. I'm hoping to one day find a scarlette fireshrimp of a yellow skunk cleaner with eggs one day, of course I could put the effort into just breeding them. One of these days I hope to have something to trade back to the LFS for other things.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
ive never had my pepps mess with anything, and they were 5$ true pepps. not camels.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
If there isn't any Aiptasia in the tank for the shrimp to eat, and the tank is not well-fed or with suitable tank-grown food for the shrimp, under some cirsumstances, they MAY eat Xenia spp. and related octocorals, but for the most part this simply does not happen. It is the exception that might occur with these shrimp, but usually only occurs when the shrimp are near starvation, and then only rarely.

HTH, I keep them without problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
What is the best way to tell the difference between the two?

I've raised camel shrimp before, and know very well the differences between the Camels that are sold as peppermints, and true peppermints L.wurdemanni. That's why I was so suprised to see them for only $4.00

The reef safe peps and the camel back peps?

any input?
I have two peps in my tank and a bunch of aptasia they need to eat, but have only ate a few if any.

Please help.

Thank You,

Marcus

·
Registered
295 Posts
What is the best way to tell the difference between the two peps?

The reef safe peps and the camel back peps?

any input?

I have two peps in my tank and a bunch of Aiptasia they need to eat, but have only ate a few if any. They also ate two nice size featherdusters on the same rock as the Aiptasia.
Please help, i am trying to make sure i have the proper reef safe
Lysmata wurdemanni

Thank You,

Marcus

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think i have the Lysmata boggessi with the dark tail, are they reef safe? Will they still eat the Aiptasia or should i bring them back? My LFS will swap them out.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
They should eat the aiptasia, it just takes time. I think L boggessi is actually the prefered pep for aiptasia control.

Reef safe is a relative term. They will leave most corals alone.

·
Registered
295 Posts
They ate my two nice tube worms that were sticking out even had a hint of green in the feather part. Should i take them out and exchange them? I think i have the Lysmata boggessi with the dark tail like black or blue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts