The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a tang and was wondering what some of you have had in the past that you really liked or some that may have just been a pain. I was looking at a blue hippo tang or possibly a Chevron tang, however I havent really heard much about the Chevrons.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had experience with yellow, purple, brown powerr, blue power, sohal, blue hippo and blond naso tangs. I like blond naso tang the best. it is easy to keep and did not attack another tank mate and it is also strong enough to defend itself. I had blond nzso and purple tangs live together in my tank now and they are both doing very well.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I have dejardian sailfin, and a kole tang. The sailfins are definitly sweet, but they have to be king of the castle, at least from my experience they are kinda bullies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Hawaiian goldrim tang that I really like. It changes color a bit based on mood and doesn't seem like it will outgrow my 75 gal tank. It has developed a bad habbit of sneaking up and scaring my firefish though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I currently have a sailfin tang. He is great. However my all time favorite tang and overall reef fish has got to be the Powder Blue Tang. Absolutely gorgeous. They are very disease receptive and are very hard to take care of IMHO if not kept in a 125 or larger in high water quality.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
My Powder Blue is my favorite but I like my Kole tang too. Powder Blue has always been my favorite fish.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just lost my 5" purple tang, they are great fish with great personalities, he caught some ick and died while i was treating him. really sad, i just want to get some ideas so that after my tank is back to where it needs to be water quality wise i have some ideas of tangs that people have really enjoyed, i was looking at the sailfin they are gorgeous fish and possibly another more submissive tang to be added at the same time, my purple definately like to be king of the castle too. thanks for all of the opionions!

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
I have liked the blue hippo and the yellow eyed or blue eyed kole tang.

I currently have a desjardian tang. He has been a great fish for me. has some different colorations then a regular salfin tang. He cruise around and munches on the bubble algae and such.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
They are cool till they get big, then they are pretty much just blackish brown with some lines.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The only tang I ever had was a Scopas tang, very cool. I like to get a Sailfin but I know my tank is too small.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that is a nice looking fish but i have read the same thing that smeese is referring to, they get dull as they mature. I am thinking about the blonde naso and a sailfin, i really like the blue hippos and the powder blues but know that they are very prone to ick.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Only get a Powder Blue if it is coming from another member and has been tank acclimated, I assume them to be a 1 in 10 type of "chance" situation. I killed 3 then got one from Gatorbait a year and a half ago or so and it is doing wonderful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i wanted to know what tangs would go well together in a 75 gal reef. would like to keep two if possible. what are some combinations tht people have kept that look good and live together well.

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
hardlife said:
i wanted to know what tangs would go well together in a 75 gal reef. would like to keep two if possible. what are some combinations tht people have kept that look good and live together well.
Maybe I'm cautious, but I wouldn't keep more than one tang in a 75 and then only a Zebrasoma species (sailfin, yellow, purple, etc.) as they stand small enclosures better than most. Most tangs do much better in a 6' long tank.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts