The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to mantis shrimps and have been doing my research.. I am currently thinking of getting a Peacock Mantis shrimp (O.scyllarus) either from my local pet store or manage to get one locally.. (I live on Guam, so the mantis shrimp i see in the stores are usually local caught)

anyways to the question.. i am currently setting up a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium, which i know is more than large enough to house a peacock mantis shrimp. 55 gallons would seem a waste of space with out some fish swimming around. so, could larger fish be safe with a peacock mantis? Say a lionfish? i am hesitant about eels, triggers and/or puffers.. Especially triggers..

the fish mentioned are all fish that i have cared for in the past.. so, i know that these fish are not good with ornamental shrimp and the like, but a peacock mantis seems the kind of creature that can hold its own..

or.. should i give up this idea and just make a 30 gallon or keep the 55 gallon as a mantis shrimp only tank?

all input would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info.. i got some pretty good info from some other forums as well.. from what i gathered is that it all depends on the individual mantis shimp.. on reefcentral.com one person has been able to keep a peacock mantis shrimp with a grouper, a lionfish, and two triggers.. but within a 75 gallon.. right now i am debating on going with an acrylic aquarium..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey I have a peacock in a 75g and I have tangs, chromis, anthias, wrasses, clown fish, and few others, peacocks are smashers and won't mess with fish unlesss they are not fed a couple of times a week with live crabs or snails or so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Companions...

My mantis is in a 30 gallon acrylic and he allowed a chromis to live and even seemed friendly with it for about 3 weeks. Then...he ate his dog.... (sniff).

Only keep animals in the tank you won't miss would be the best advice imho. A 55g tank is so enormous, but mantis like zebras and peacocks can get pretty big and they do enjoy the room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts