The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running penducters on a PCX-30? I am going to be trying this on my closed loop and was wondering if anyone had any input. I could upgrade the pump, but I already have the 30, so if it would work then I would like to stick with it. The tank is 24x20x28 BB.

Thanks,
AJ

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
looking at the pump curve i would agree with what platypus is seeing. it only has a max head height of 15'. that is a bit low for actually pushing an eductor correctly. worth a try, but i would get a bigger pump if you really want to run the eductor properly.

G~

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, two penducters is out of the question? I always go overboard.:nuts:

Here is the delema, my tank is 24x20x28, if I put say a pcx-55hp on there will it just blow my tank into a frenzy? I don't mind if the flow is really strong, but I don't want my corals being ripped off the rocks. Is between 4000-5000gph of water movement in a 60 gal going to be way too much?

Thanks for all the help,

AJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's acrylic, but I already have the penducters and I want to use them. It is drilled for two returns and two closed loop returns along with a 1 1/2" intake for the closed loop. I don't really want to drill anymore holes. I also am pretty much done buying equipment, so if I am going to buy anything it will be something to make the penducters work.

Thanks again for all the help and keep the it comming. Any ideas on what kind of pump would work good for these? Maybe something with high head pressure, but not a ton of gph.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
who makes that pump and were might I find it online? I have heard you suggest those pumps a few times and always wondered were you get them.

Thanks,
AJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Geoff. I think I will go that route. Now I just have to find $150. That is all part of the fun I guess.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking that as well. I also may have a deal on a trade for a pcx-55hp. Do you think that pump would be a good choice? If not I could use it for a skimmer and get the T3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Geoff,

I am thinking of using a t3 with two penductors in a 17.4 gallon sps tank. I have read that you get the better flow from one. However, I think two would be better in this setup to create some turbulence. What do you think?

Also any experience on building rock work around the penductor? I'd like to hide them in the scape as much as possible.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
you can get more flow from one depending on the size of the inner outlet nozzle. the greater the back pressure the greater multiplier.

a 17.4g tank? is that correct? you could end up pushing over 2000gph in that tank with eductors.

G~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, 17.gallon - SPS dominant. My thinking was to have each educator coming from the back bottom corners, facing each other and pointed at the tank bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Geoff - good point about the limitations. With the tank width being 23.5' I can see the outlets being fairly close to each other. That is a concern.

Any thoughts on having them outlets in the lower third of the tank, and building rockwork around the locline?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
have a look at my build thread. link in my sig. what i would do is put one eductor pointing downward in the back middle cover it up with a loose LR mound and let it rip. that way all detritus gets pushed out and there will be enough flow coming out and around to push and detritus upwards towards any overflow.

this is how i had a CLS setup in the build. i had about 1500gph blowing down in a 12X12 space.

G~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like a plan - would that be too much laminar flow though? I am wondering if I'd come home to see all the fish stuck to the front of the tank.

Great build by the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts