The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am very new to this wonderful hobby and had a quick lighting question. I have been reading threads on this forums for months, and I think I am finally ready to start adding some coral to my 55gl tank. I have narrowed my decision down to power compacts and I was looking at the JBJ Formosa DX - JG3. But I have been hearing a lot of people complain about them recently. A lot of issues with the fans, and switches. I was also looking at this setup:

47" Ultra Reef Light, 6x55W Bulbs

Any suggestions? I would like to stay just around or under $300 if at all possible..

Thanks!

Cooney

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have last years model of the JBJ Formosa DX. I think the main difference is that the new model comes with 3 fans instead of 2. I too have read some of the problems lately, but I must say that I haven't had any problems to date (knock on wood). I got mine last Xmas, so its going on 8 months now. And if you do get it, I highly recommend the flip-top stands. It not only makes the setup look great, but its also so much easier to just flip open when you want to get into the tank. I have a 55 gallon as well, and I couldn't imagine having to pick up the whole unit every time I need to do something inside the tank (which seems to be at least once a day for me).

Hope that helps and good luck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
WELCOME!!

At the bottom of the previos post is a hyperlink to underwater creations, Lise will help with lights, they have QUITE the selection.

I will prolly be gettin some from her for a buddy, just startin out, the newbie..

Lee:beer: :beer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the help and the welcome! The flip top stand was one of the BIG selling points of the JBJ ATL, thats why I was dissapointed when I read the unpleasant reviews.. I really like the Jalli and Custom SeaLife hoods too... Thanks for making this harder guys! J/K.. All of these hoods are about the same in price.. Are there any real differences in them? I think I still may be leaning toward the JBJ for the flip top stand. I just hope I dont get a lemon! Again thanks for all of the suggestions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mucho. I ended up ordering the DX JG3 last night. I cant wait for it to get here! I ordered it from a a place in Philly, and I am about an hour from there, so I should get it in a couple of days. The free flip top stand sold me too! As I said, I just hope I dont have any issues with it. Again, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts