The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two GBTA's in a 29 gallon tank with a 250 10K HQI light over it right now. Everything is good, but the rooms gets hot. (I can keep the tank cool, but the room get 5+ degrees hotter.) I am looking for opinions on keeping them under PC light. I have a 2x65W pc light that I was going to try, but I dont want to watch them wither into nothing.
Opinions appreciated.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I really don't see them withering away under PCs. In general, BTAs are pretty forgiving when it comes to lighting. I think potential heat issues with your existing lighting are probably more detrimental to them than the lighting change which hopefully will make temps. more stable.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
If nothing up the light after you know it is not working if that is how it goes. Anenomes are indestructable.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
RBTA's and bta's will do fine under PC's but that is about it. Most others require more intense light like halides or t-5's

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
If that is all that is in the tank right now, can you hook just one of the PCst up and make sure there is a rock or something for them to climb up and get under the light.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NO rocks in the tank. BB...empty... wells there's a little algae, so mostly empty.
You really think 130W of PC will keep BTA's alive??
(Ups I wasnt thinkinig and typed BTK-you can tell I just got off work lol!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have 2 bta's in a 46 gal with 192 watts of PC. I wish they would stop growing. They've been in there for 3 years now. They keep growing until they split (which is once a year).

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks!! I just set it up, we shal see what happens...

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought of that, but was thinking starboard cubes...

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perhaps we can come to an arrangement of some sort? I would like to make a few 3"x3" blocks.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Rain says I can't talk to you till she has two clown...
hehe JK

I am sure we can... and anyone wanting Starboard, this is the time to get it for cost. Once its gone I won't be picking up any more (already made some cutting boards :) ).

·
Registered
544 Posts
HFG said:
Rain says I can't talk to you till she has two clown...
:lol:

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's COOL! I killed one when I first started a few years ago. It was fine and one day it got sucked up in a emperor filter. I pulled it out of the mesh, but the body was ripped pretty bad. It healed up before it died. After it healed up it went downhill, shriveled a ton and turned into goo after a few weeks.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had PC's at the time and assosiate the death with lighting, but knowing as much as I do now, about various parameters, it really could have been a bunch of things (including the injury)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts