The Reef Tank banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

· Reef Geek
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Added 2 emerald crabs, a cleaner shrimp, and a fire fish today. Also on day 3 of dosing live phytoplankton. Tank is starting to come along nicely. Hoping to start adding some corals after the holidays

· Reef Geek
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Well I'm about 95% sure the firefish jumped out the tank last night. I was afraid of this having an open top but decided to take a chance. Which means my Chocolate Lab had himself a late night snack....

· Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,748 Posts
I have a pair of firefish that live under the rocks and only come out once in a while to eat. You may only see them once every week or two. The reason they stopped coming out was because of 6 line wrasse. So it maybe hiding out in the rock. Mine have been in the tank for about a year now.

· Reef Geek
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I have a pair of firefish that live under the rocks and only come out once in a while to eat. You may only see them once every week or two. The reason they stopped coming out was because of 6 line wrasse. So it maybe hiding out in the rock. Mine have been in the tank for about a year now.
I found him!!!! And that's exactly where he was! Snuck up into the base of a rock. Not sure if he moved the sand or it was just there but I saw him dart in and out of it a few times.

· Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,748 Posts
Yeah I was disappointed when I thought I lost mine. I looked everywhere around the tank and couldn’t fine them. Even though I don’t see them often. It nice knowing they are still in the tank and doing fine.
You probably have a fish they don’t like.

· Just some guy, you know?
40,343 Posts
Glad your firefish didn't jump! I've found with them that they are allot more active when there are other active fish in the tank. When there is no other activity they seem to get scared and hide away in the rock, but with other fish out and happy I've found them to be more social.

Whiskey

· Reef Geek
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well went on vacation for about a week and a half. Left the tank alone with the boy. He did a pretty good job feeding. Tank only needed minor glass cleaning when I came home. I did have a casuality though. One of my clowns decided to commit suicide Finding Nemo style. At first I thought he was dead and was eaten by something in the tank. Upon further inspection I found his dried up corpse behind the tank. Not sure what spooked him. Other than that everything was good. One of my crabs molted. Cool to see his exoskeleton in the tank. While I was gone my pH controller arrived. Set that up. Now that the tank is 3 months old and pretty well established I've been focusing more on getting ready for corals. Alkalinity, Magnesium, Calcium, and pH have been my focus. My pH problem appears to be more related to low alkalinity. Been slowly raising that up over the past few days. Up to 8.6 from 7.4. Gonna try and shoot for 10 but we'll see. PH has gone from 8.0 to 8.3 since raising the alk. All other parameters are perfect. Gonna give it one more day raising the alk then remove the CO2 scrubber and see what the pH does.

· Just some guy, you know?
40,343 Posts
You might want to look into a clear mesh top like BRS sells, they have ones with little ears that will sit down over a rimless tank really cleanly so the ears hold it at glass level and the majority of it drops down below. Even with a top fish jumping can become a problem, but my guess is that without one it's going to be much more so.

Whiskey

61 - 73 of 73 Posts