The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Reef Geek
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. Gonna start a blog about my new tank build. Doing better financially and knowledge wise than I was when I started my last one. Gonna make this one great. Went with a Reef Octopus Octo Lux T90 aquarium/stand. Most of the essentials arrived the other day and the dry rock is due here tomorrow. More to come soon.....

Administrator

Reef Geek
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright. Kicked *** at work this week to bring in some extra bucks for this build. 78 hours in the last 7 days. Ugh. It'll be worth it though. Tomorrow is build day! Gonna set up the cab, sump, tank, and aquascape. Spent a little time in the bar room doing a dry run on the aquascape. I think this is gonna be the final result. Maybe minus the two smaller pieces up front. Just laid them there to see what a couple zoa rocks would look like up front. I have one large piece of shelf rock left though. I wish I could use it but it'll be too much I think. I'd hate to break it up into rubble rock also. Think I'll leave that aside until everything is in the actual DT......
Wood Flooring Floor Cuisine Artifact

Reef Geek
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't decide on the aquascape. I feel like I have too much rock. Not sure. I originally wanted the first pic but it might be too tall. It's only about 3in from the top of the water. Doesn't give coral much room to grow
Dress Wood Table Flooring Hardwood

Table Wood Cuisine Cooking Desk

Administrator
I'm gonna cast my vote with #1 also.....there are some corals that simply love to sun bath. (y)
I have some GSP's that I allow to spend a day here n there above the tide line.....doesn't phase them a bit.

Fantastic looking set up!
Hack

Reef Geek
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK gonna spend a few days pondering. Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Much appreciated! The salt and live sand won't be here until Wednesday so I have some time to figure things out.

Just some guy, you know?
Sweet!!!! I love to see a new tank going up! Nice work on the system too!

I'm going to buck the trend and vote for #2, I thought I had lots of room for my corals to grow up, but I didn't take in account the amount of space needed for flow to go overtop, especially using gyre pumps. Once my stags grew out a little bit it started to become an issue, and now I'm trimming. Even if you are not keeping SPS, things like leathers get tall fast, and the look when they hit the surface isn't ideal.

What are your plans for fish and coral? Have you given thought to light?

Whiskey

Reef Geek
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sweet!!!! I love to see a new tank going up! Nice work on the system too!

I'm going to buck the trend and vote for #2, I thought I had lots of room for my corals to grow up, but I didn't take in account the amount of space needed for flow to go overtop, especially using gyre pumps. Once my stags grew out a little bit it started to become an issue, and now I'm trimming. Even if you are not keeping SPS, things like leathers get tall fast, and the look when they hit the surface isn't ideal.

What are your plans for fish and coral? Have you given thought to light?

Whiskey
I went with a slightly altered version of picture #1. I left those top two pieces unglued just in case it becomes too much. I've still got some time before this tank is ready so I'll see how things look. As for fish, I think I'm just gonna stick to two clown fish. I really want the coral to be the center piece of this tank but 2 clowns will add some life to it. As for lighting I went with 2 EcoTech G6 XR15s

Reef Geek
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tank is officially filled to the appropriate level and is cycling. Awaiting the water to come up to temperature then gonna recheck the salinity
Floor Wood Gas Flooring Machine

1 - 20 of 29 Posts