The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi everyone. been a while. i recently got my hands on a 280 gallon acrylic tank for 75 bucks. coming this cheap i knew i'd have to put some work into it. the tank itself holds water, but the bulkheads had to be ripped off because they were apparently installed incorrectly and have been leaking slowly (the underside of the tank where the black "bulk head fittings" meet your plumbing) for who knows how long. the previous owner just kept coating around them (they come out of the bottom, dual, diagonal from each other on the front left corner and back right) with silicone to form this mountain or crap.

i tried to dissassemble them because the previous tubing was just cut and was still sticking out of the fittings and i needed to remove it to put in my newly made plumbing, but most of the parts are fused together as well. i was at home depot and really only saw one style of bulkheads that may not work. so who's got a good selection of bulkheads to where i could take the old parts to and compare and get the right things? i need new washers too, every one was either broken or warped (so instead of draining the tank, the person just kept coating silicone around the fittings). sorry if this is rambly, to sum it up, did i not look hard enough at home depot, or is there a store around the marietta/ kennesaw area with various parts that could help? thanks! -nick

edit: call me at 678-445-6462 if you have any leads, as i won't be online too much today. this monstrosity of a tank has been sitting in my living room for 2 weeks now and i'd like to start putting my fish from my 180 in it so turtles can get out of their holding tanks and go in the 180 and have a real tank again as well (they lost their tank as part of the deal for the 280). thanks again. -n

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
LOL... Give Marine Fish or Imagine Ocean a call, I believe they both carry bulkheads and such.

Marine & Tropical Fish
1255 Johnson Ferry Rd NE
Marietta, GA
(770) 321-8404

Imagine Ocean
111 Mountain Vista Blvd. suite 140
Canton, GA

I'm not sure about these other 2 but maybe.

Aquarium Showcase
12900 Highway 9
Alpharetta, GA. 30004

Cappuccino Bay Aquarium
2145 Roswell Rd NE
Marietta, GA.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jenn is closest to my house, so i'll give her a call and see if i can haul my chunks of used crap up and compare. didn't know if she was carrying that type of stuff, hadn't been there in over a year when she just opened, since i got out of salt and am exclusively fresh rarities now. thanks!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
It was good to see you, Nick - Gabriel is a cutie patootie too - give him a smooch for me and bring him in to see us again soon! Glad to have helped you get sorted out!

Cheers,
Jenn

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
hey nick, glad your still alive. one suggestion when your dealing with that much water i would silicone both sides of the bulhead just to be on the safe side...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
hi Kurt. :) yeah i'm alive, i just don't have any salt water anymore. i will definately use up the aquarium sealant i have. and teflon tape. and water tight silicone tape. i'm going to be really scared when i first turn this thing on. thanks jenn, actually you will see us soon, i gotta bring the two smaller fittings back, they're slightly too big for the holes (i have awesome luck) :( one day it will have water in it, just don't know when that will be though. :rolleyes:

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Nick could the smaller ones have been half-inch? That's really small for such a large tank.... You might want to enlarge those holes a bit to get them to fit - you might even be able to sand them just enough to slide in the bulkhead.

Just a thought....
Jenn

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they just barely don't fit, so the holes must be like 5/8 or something. this whole thing looks like it was a custom job so if enlarge the holes anymore those fittings will overlap the return bulkheads. i'm just re-washering the existing things for now and going to do a careful job on the sealant i suppose. and watch carefully and not make any plans or be doing anything but watching for leaks for the first 24 hours. i'm going to just fill the overflows with water pitchers repeatedly to make sure all the plumbing is water tight before i fill the tank. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts