The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we have been fighting extreme colic/cma/lactose intolerance whatever you think it can actually be pinpointed to for 14 weeks now. oh, add a couple of hernias in there.
He is growing fine but has all of the symptoms and it is hard to actually pinpoint what the heck is going on...bottom line the baby still doesnt feel well most of the time. My wife works in the family birthing center at one of the best hospitals in the country so we know the tools available and have tried them all.
He is having hernia surgery next week but we are going to try goats milk...again. Due to some other complications i dont feel we gave goats milk a fair trial and want to try it again.

My question is this:
Dows anybody know where to obtain a all in one medicine that makes up for the deficencies that goats milk has so we can add it??

I.E. iron, linoleic acid, folic acid and vitamin C, possibly D. To be honest we could live without the iron as well for the moment.

Thanks for any input

here is a rare picture of him feeling well. He IS getting better FWIW, but he is still pretty miserable...poor not so little guy. 21 lbs, 14 weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I am sorry I can't help but prayers for the little one will be prayed.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
My brother's kid had the same issues. Mom just stopped eating dairy products while she breast fed the kid. that way they avoided the lactose and the kid got all the nutrition. She had to take calcium and vitamins herself to make up for stuff.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Sorry Bill I'm not sure where to get what ya need I'll check my books and back issues of some magazines and see what I can find. Poor Carver & Mom and Dad. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zxcv123 said:
OMG fly Guy I had no Idea.... My priers are with you and your family.
I appreciate it...but, to be sure. He is healthy as an ox. There are MANY FAR WORSE problems and luck that people have with their kids.

Hes gaining a pound a week and can stand up on his own at 14 weeks with just some balance assistance. The stomach problems will go away once we can get him on semi solid food, and the hernias are both fairly common. If he wasnt healthy and strong the docs wouldnt be cutting him this early.
I appreciate the sentiments though. We are still just trying to find something that doesnt thrash his stomach formulawise, and i do believe once we fix that inguinal hernia that he will feel better.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Fly Guy said:
I appreciate it...but, to be sure. He is healthy as an ox. There are MANY FAR WORSE problems and luck that people have with their kids.

Hes gaining a pund a week and can stand up on his own at 14 weeks with just some balance assistance. The stomach problems will go away once we can get him on semi solid food, and the hernias are both fairly common. If he wasnt healthy and strong the docs wouldnt be cutting him this early.
I appreciate the sentiments though. We are still just trying to find something that doesnt thrash his stomach formulawise, and i do believe once we fix that inguinal hernia that he will feel better.
LOL Bill my thoughts and prayers are for you and your wife :) Plus Carver it's not fun having tummy troubles :(

·
Super Moderator
27,079 Posts
Oh no, Bill. I'll keep all of you in my prayers.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Also...not much help on your actual question...but my thoughts/prayers are with ya.

He's got pretty strong eyes for a baby...I have faith he'll be in tip-top shape in no time.

·
Super Moderator
27,079 Posts
Bill - maybe you could ask Tom (tdwyatt) if he has any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Cath.

Biull, you might want to read the Dr Sears pediatric site before you make the swithc just for the sake of lacose, 4.7 vs 4.3% lastose content between co3w's milk and goat's milk., There are several lactose-free formulas on the market that would be much better for the child if you suspect lactose intolerance, and they will not require any supplementation of any sort short of potentially iron or fat-soluble vits (A,D,E,K,use Poly-Vi-Sol with iron for this);

Read through the info HERE

More later.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
im not sure but doesnt skim milk not have lactose, and arnt there some milk out there with no lactose?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
the diff between skim milk and regular kow's milk is the fat content only. Skimmed milk gets its name from the fact that it was at one time processed by letting raw milk stand until the fat collected at the surface, where it was removed by "skimming the surface with a ladle" to collect the fat for making butter, etc...

It still has the full lactose content that full-fat cow's milk contains.

Bill: another thought that may make goat's milk a good choice (but I would still prefer a formula that does contain all you need): is the child possibly allergic to some of the proteins/enzymes in cow's milk? btw, the www.askdrsears.com site is a great site for patients to look up good info for pediatric info for a broad range of subjects, almost all of it is checked out by their staff before it is posted, and contains reliable information.

Goats milk for bottle feeding

Everything you wanted to know about formulas and bottlefeeding

Poly-Vi-Sol w/ Iron feeding supplement-use links on the page for more info

Human Milk fortifier-use with goat's milk

Ross nutritional handbook for Health care professionals

Just as an addendum, if the child is growing well and WNL, it may just be issues with allergies or sensitivities to some component of the feedings you're using, even the liocal water there, difficult to trace down.

Just curious, what does your pediatrician have to say on the topic?

HTH

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Tom............i didnt catch that you relied to this yesterday...

i gotta go but will look later tonight. Like i said, we have tried ALL of the formulas..........including a couple of prescription ones for like $45 bucks a can. .......

If we could find something that would work id pay $100. He IS getting better finally. I had him giggling and lauhing out loud yesterday in the middle of that lake fiasco......see below

thanks again, ill be back tonight

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Bill, what are his symptoms? We have a son, Kevin, who was lactose intolerant. It took a long time to finally diagnose it and until after he turned 5 we couldn't do more than treat what he got for lactose and deny him what couldn't be treated. You can buy lactose drops from canada and can virtually treat any dairy products with it that are in a liquid form (ie: any kind of milk, 1/2&1/2, cream... etc) Also we used soy milk as well for him/ Once he turned 5 and it was determined that he would not grow out of the intolerance we treated him with a product that "cured" the lactose intolerance. The product is not recomended for children under 5 and it will not work for milk allergies, only lactose intolerance. He now enjoys any kind of dairy and does not get sick. When he was a baby he was first diagnosed with reflux long before he was diagnosed as lactose intolerant (took a biopsy to determine that). If memory serves me right, the pediatrician put him on Zantac to deal with the reflux and it made the world of difference, after 4-6 months of throwing everything up and barely gaining any weight he started to keep food down and gain weight. Then once he was diagnosed as lactose intolerant and we knew what was wrong we were able to deal with it.

For the lactose drops so you can treat any type of dairy
http://digestmilk.com/

For the lactose intolerance if he does not grow out of it, also works for adults...
http://www.lactagen.com/home.do

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cyber chef...thanks for the reply

our sons symptoms are what we perceive to be massive cramping and bloating at times. The reflux has went away in the last month. We have tried every formula imaginable including a couple prescription that cost as much as gold. His problems are complicated by a double hernia which he is being put under the knife tomorrow for. He IS gaining weight. He was born 7-12 and now at 14 weeks he is 21 lbs and the strongest kid i have ever seen, but he is still hurting bad about 50% of the time. We are hoping that fixing the inguinal will help as whenever he bloats up some it protrudes and hurts him. The umbilical is a non issue IMO. Honestly, i think he is allergic to water....lol. Because ALL of the formulas, be it say, goats, high dollar prescription, alimentum etc etc. To be honest i think the Alimentum was the most effective but it was hardly a signifigant difference........
The more i read abouot supplementing goats milk or anything for that matter, the less i like the ideaa syou can only read that it can kill your son so many times that it sticks.........and am just waiting for when we can go on semi solid food. He has no problem taking a mixture of single grain rice and prune juice which he gets twice a day to help with constipation.......

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Tom....if youre listening...why does everywhere else ive read say the opposite of this found in a link you offered????

Yet, goat milk is reported to contain more of the essential fatty acids,linoleic acid\

im just now reading those links............there will be more to come : )

Tom, what do you honestly feel about goats milk for a 4 month old baby???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts