The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Saturday everyone.

I was at the hardware store and I noticed they're selling what they say are PAR38 bulbs. These are LED bulbs that seem to be made up solely with white LEDs. They have warm white, cool white etc spectrum.

I've read that between 5000k and 6500k is the best spectrum for growing Chaeto etc. Would a bulb like this do well in a refugium or sump, growing chaeto?

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesaler...UTF8&qid=1376149615&sr=8-2&keywords=par38+led

· Acroholic
3,190 Posts
While the LEDs do work, using all of the wattage to hit the right wavelengths is a much better solution. Red LEDs with some blue mixed in has been proven to work wonders. I'm using a 40w CFL in warm white now but will be moving to red and blue LEDs whenever I finally get the correct blue bulbs form the manufacturer.

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While the LEDs do work, using all of the wattage to hit the right wavelengths is a much better solution. Red LEDs with some blue mixed in has been proven to work wonders. I'm using a 40w CFL in warm white now but will be moving to red and blue LEDs whenever I finally get the correct blue bulbs form the manufacturer.
Thanks for the response. So the best spectrum for macro algae is deep red? I've seen a lot of grow lights on eBay that seem to be made up of mostly red lights.

· Acroholic
3,190 Posts
Thanks for the response. So the best spectrum for macro algae is deep red? I've seen a lot of grow lights on eBay that seem to be made up of mostly red lights.
The most essential to photosynthesis is the 660nm wavelength of red. You'll always want royal blue in the 430-440nm range but only 1/4th as many lie LEDs as there are red. A lot of the grow lights which you'll find online may be the right wavelength but they are not powerful enough to penetrate the water to sufficient depths and maintain a desirable intensity because red is one of the first spectrums to be filtered. For this reason, you'll want something using 3w LEDs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.