The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
little fishy
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the meeting on Tuesday, I suggested to Chris that we have an info sheet that each of us fills out after checking out the Par meter. We could use this to compare par output for different types of bulb/ballast combinations.

This would be primarily benefitial for MH users, due to the fact that different types of ballasts run different types of bulbs differently.

My thoughts on this could be to email a spread sheet or some other type of form with a few simple questions; such as,

Ballast manufacturer
Bulb manufacturer
Bulb color temp (6500 - 20000 degree k)
Bulb wattage
Bulb distance from water
Age of the bulbs
Reflector Type

Par at ~1 inch from bulb
Par at water surface
par at ~1 below water surface

This info could easily be dumped into a db and you could plot the results. This info could be used to make solid, fact based recommendations about lighting with the proper data to back it up. If there is enough interest I could put together a simple entry form and database to track this.

Suggestions welcome

Rob

·
Registered
461 Posts
this is a great idea, and if people wouldn't mind, taking a picture of your setup would be nice to let us see what the lights look like.

·
ARC Member
707 Posts
The picture idea is good, but without a constant white balance setting across all pictures, it won't really show reality. You'd have to have some kind of reference to judge them against. Otherwise, you're not comparing apples to apples...

·
Registered
461 Posts
i have that as a bookmark on my browser... :)

but i'm interested to see mh lights that aren't all 250w, as well as what t5s and pcs measure and look like...

·
little fishy
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris I don't have permission to create a new thread over there. Not sure why, I registered as the same userid, but can't post.

·
little fishy
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mojo said:
What about using a shared Google Spreadsheet?
Problem with that would be that you need to have a pre-existing account out there. Is the Arc site a Portal site?

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
How valuable would amaster list be at certain depths under water, as the clarity of the water is certainly variable? For example, I I measure the PAr at 2" below water surface, running bulb "A", ballast "B", and I do not use carbon regularly, I'm guessing it would give a imprecise reading, correct? I understand that a grand master list would allow people to compare bulbs with ballasts, but unless they are all on the tank of water, there is no real control.

Am I thinking right, or do I just not understand what you all are saying?

·
Registered
461 Posts
jmaney,

yes, for scientific purposes, this data would likely be frowned upon, but just for a general idea of what PAR levels you can expect (so long as your tank isn't milky or abnormally cloudy in some way) w/ a given setup, I think it will end up being fairly helpful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As usual, im overthinking it. Let me ask this then, do you think the par levels are that significantly off between ballast using the same bulbs? I know the bulbs will certainly vary according to temp, etc.

·
Registered
461 Posts
take a look at the link rhomer (edit: oops, not rhomer, ender! sorry... :eek:)) gave to Cnidarian Reef. If you scroll down to the bottom, and you can see how the same bulbs performed on different ballasts.

·
little fishy
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MattTVI said:
take a look at the link rhomer gave to Cnidarian Reef. If you scroll down to the bottom, and you can see how the same bulbs performed on different ballasts.
Fairly comprehensive minus the fact that there isn't info about any other wattage bulbs. This might be a good start for the db also. This would show a good base line for anyone using 250 watt bulbs.

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess this is where this type of list would be useful, for 175 w or 400 watt (or 70 or 150 or whatever).
The beauty of that site is that they are all on the same tank so there is control. I understand this is snobbery, and that guy had the means, ability, and time to compile all that, and must of us don't.

Some other factors in consideration of case by case situations, is the transmission barriers. By this I mean is there glass over the tank, is there slat creep etched onto the bulbs, etc? I wonder if the mere presence of a surface skimmer would have an effect (by minimizing the surface contaminants and reflectants).

Is reflectants a word?

·
Registered
461 Posts
yes, i'm excited about the par meter because it is almost impossible to find data on non-MH setups...

·
little fishy
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jmaneyapanda said:
I guess this is where this type of list would be useful, for 175 w or 400 watt (or 70 or 150 or whatever).
The beauty of that site is that they are all on the same tank so there is control. I understand this is snobbery, and that guy had the means, ability, and time to compile all that, and must of us don't.

Some other factors in consideration of case by case situations, is the transmission barriers. By this I mean is there glass over the tank, is there slat creep etched onto the bulbs, etc? I wonder if the mere presence of a surface skimmer would have an effect (by minimizing the surface contaminants and reflectants).

Is reflectants a word?
I think this also valuable to indicate bulb life. Given enough information you could plot the par life of a given bulb.

As for glass over the tank I would assume that getting your hand in the tank with the par wand would be difficult with the glass down. :)

Rob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts