The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a panther grouper be put into a reef. I know they are marked NOT REEF SAFE but cant it be done with a few sacrafices (like no shrimp, crabs, etc). Especially if you get one that is considerably smaller then the live stock you have them with, like around 3inches? let me know. THanx

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i understand the big/massive part just wondering if you could keep one in a reef with a few sacrafices, and the only reason i said to get a small one was to lessen chances of aggresion between the inhabitants of the tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As dobejazz said they very grow fast. Mine was 3-4" and grew to 11-12" in a year and a half. They would quickly out grow the other tank mates and consume them. Also, they eat a lot which means they poop a lot. Makes it more difficult to keep up with the bioload. They're very clumsy swimmers. So if the corals aren't secured down properly they would be knocking them over. IMO the disadvantages out way the advantages. HTH

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Other than they'll eat anything fish or invert-wise that can fit into their mouth, they aren't usually a problem.

I've got one that's about 2' long in the 1000. He came from a 225 FO when he outgrew the client's tank. He has not bothered hermit crabs (large ones that were also 'donated' :rolleyes: ) I've also got a Bahama Star and a really big Chocolate Chip Star that were also 'gifts'... my 1000 g is a last stop for stuff that people can't take care of anymore ;) By the time that grouper is finished growing, it will likely be 3' long.

So to answer your question - yes you could keep one in a reef as long as you don't have small shrimp or bite-sized fishes (BTW my grouper ate an 8" lunare wrasse much to my surprise!), but please please have an exit plan for this fish when it gets too big. Make sure your LFS is willing/able to trade it back in unless you have definite plans to buy a much larger tank.

HTH

Jenn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts