The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!! I just added a black ocellaris male into my tank last night. The female been in the tank for a couple of weeks, and were trying to nip at his tail at the first 30 mins. After that they went to separated corner to sleep. This morning and the whole afternoon (in the first video) I saw them swimming around together and seem to get along, but sometimes she still trying to nip at his tail and darting at him,(in second video) I saw a little bite mark, but the smaller one didnt fight back at all and seem like he was trying to stay close to the bigger one. Would they be okay together? Should I separated them and reintroduce them again later? Any opinions will be really appreciated.. :confused:

First video: During the day seem to get along
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXm6...DvjVQa1PpcFNCaccxqmYENkZ4AUxpBl0HUkkrmGieT_A=
Second video: Nipping
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk250/btraising/?action=view&current=VID_20120327_221549.mp4
Third video: Pairing? Fighting?
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk250/btraising/?action=view&current=VID_20120327_222555.mp4

·
Administrator
46,859 Posts
I am not an expert on pairing clowns but off hand I would say he is trying to work up the courage to ask her to the Prom. Any idea how old the larger one is. I am not sure when they change gender

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hi!! I just added a black ocellaris male into my tank last night. The female been in the tank for a couple of weeks, and were trying to nip at his tail at the first 30 mins. After that they went to separated corner to sleep. This morning and the whole afternoon (in the first video) I saw them swimming around together and seem to get along, but sometimes she still trying to nip at his tail and darting at him,(in second video) I saw a little bite mark, but the smaller one didnt fight back at all and seem like he was trying to stay close to the bigger one. Would they be okay together? Should I separated them and reintroduce them again later? Any opinions will be really appreciated.. :confused:

First video: During the day seem to get along
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXm6NQT0qII&feature=plcp&context=C4aebde6VDvjVQa1PpcFNCaccxqmYENkZ4AUxpBl0HUkkrmGieT_A%3D
Second video: Nipping
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk250/btraising/?action=view&current=VID_20120327_221549.mp4
Third video: Pairing? Fighting?
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk250/btraising/?action=view&current=VID_20120327_222555.mp4

This is normal and will happen forever to some extent but it is worse during pairing. The female is showing dominance. She is the one that caries eggs and needs the most food. It is also worse the closer in size they are. Eventually the male will start to submit and it will get better but not totally end if the male gets out of line.

If it get extremely viscous you could have two females. The fact they are together means this is most likely not the case.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
So far looks like they are settling in with each other. From the videos neither seemed to be pushing dominance hard yet. They look pretty close in size which is why their being a bit more hesitant. But looks to be small enough to pair up still. Hard to judge the size overall but appear juvenile.

Once they really get into pairing the larger one is going start pushing ramming the small ones, the small one will more then likely twitch and roll on his side a lot during that time. Don't panic its just him submitting to her. Looks like their testing the waters with each other so far.

Keep us updated :)

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Here is a bit older video I took, I had rearranged the tank a few days before, but you can see the clowns and how they stay together and rarely wander more then a couple inches from each other. They would be playing more but the tank was rearranged so they were not 100% used to where their mushrooms where moved to.

Might give you an idea of what is normal after being paired. Even still female will still get after the male once in awhile every few days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far looks like they are settling in with each other. From the videos neither seemed to be pushing dominance hard yet. They look pretty close in size which is why their being a bit more hesitant. But looks to be small enough to pair up still. Hard to judge the size overall but appear juvenile.

Once they really get into pairing the larger one is going start pushing ramming the small ones, the small one will more then likely twitch and roll on his side a lot during that time. Don't panic its just him submitting to her. Looks like their testing the waters with each other so far.

Keep us updated :)
This is normal and will happen forever to some extent but it is worse during pairing. The female is showing dominance. She is the one that caries eggs and needs the most food. It is also worse the closer in size they are. Eventually the male will start to submit and it will get better but not totally end if the male gets out of line.

If it get extremely viscous you could have two females. The fact they are together means this is most likely not the case.
I am not an expert on pairing clowns but off hand I would say he is trying to work up the courage to ask her to the Prom. Any idea how old the larger one is. I am not sure when they change gender
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES!!! I am not so sure about their ages but the bigger one is about 1.75 inches and the smaller one is about 1.25 inches. They are about 0.5 inch in differences. Hopefully they will get along well. Just check on them this morning and they still the same way they was ytd but I haven't seen the bigger one nipping at the smaller one yet. The first night they were sleeping on different side of the tank, but last night the smaller one changed his mind and decided to sleep on the same side of the tank as the bigger one, But still at the different corner though; Bigger closer to surface and smaller mid way to the bottom. LOL. Hopefully they will not fight each other. :eek:

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
They might settle in easily with each other if the larger one is female now.
Otherwise there might be some rough housing in their future then they will mellow out.

Female looks to be of the UK breeding like, ,due to the color still filling in. That is usually the case when you get one that is brownish instead of black it will darken up over time. Which is primarily a tribute of some breed originally in the UK :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've had my pair for just over 4 months and they are still figuring thinks out. My female hosts her RBTA and the male hosts his Mag float about 8 inches away. Recently the male is getting more brave and dive bombing into the anemone with her. She will let him hang out for a bit then kicks him back to the mag float. They are still small so I hope they work it out.

You're female is way nicer then mine. I wish mine got along that well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeahhh I hope they will be happy together. Today I was watching them and the smaller one would try to get close to the bigger one and they were swimming near each other for a bit then the bigger one would act like she was trying to take a nip at him and they went separated. And this kept repeating all day long. One thing that kinda weird about the bigger one though is that she always like to swim sideways and rubbing herself against the back of the tank near the water surface. Especially at night and sometimes during the day. Anyone have any ideas about this? Should I be worry about this behavior? She has been in the tank for a couple weeks now and always like to swim like that. :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
You do know you have two different species, right? The smaller one is a Darwinian ocellaris, and the larger one is a melanistic percula. They may still pair up, and produce viable offspring though.

They don't seem to be real sure about each other right now. They seem a little confused. Especially the percula. You'll just have to give them time and keep a close eye on things. If you start seeing real damage to the fins, or find one of them hiding in a corner, gasping for breath, it's over. You'll need to remove one, and find a different fish to pair with the one you keep. Only time will tell how this turns out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do know you have two different species, right? The smaller one is a Darwinian ocellaris, and the larger one is a melanistic percula. They may still pair up, and produce viable offspring though.

They don't seem to be real sure about each other right now. They seem a little confused. Especially the percula. You'll just have to give them time and keep a close eye on things. If you start seeing real damage to the fins, or find one of them hiding in a corner, gasping for breath, it's over. You'll need to remove one, and find a different fish to pair with the one you keep. Only time will tell how this turns out.
Yes, I was planing to get a pair of true perc but at the time LFS only carried one true perc and I really like her color so I decided to take her home with me. I've been waiting to get another smaller true perc to pair up with her but accidentally saw the smaller black ocellaris and I was in love with this little guy. LFS told me that they should be okay together as long as the second one is smaller and I was worry that they might fight so I did some research and I've heard that many ppl successfully pair them up and even have offspring so I decided to get him. Thank you very much for your concern!!! I was worry about the species differences also but hope they can work things out and get along well. :agree::agree::agree:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts