The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recieved an older 16' fiberglass sail boat, nothing special, but I was looking at the bottom of it and it really needs a good paint job, most of the paint is rubbed off, do I have to buy fancy marine paint, or can I buy automotive paint and a few clear coats? THe boat will be in the water most of the summer if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Jon

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i have painted a couple of boats. i have used the one part epoxy paint. i have done both roll on and HVLP spray. the paint levels quite well, so the sprayer is not really necessary.

epoxy paint is a lot harder than the automotive paint. i have not painted a boat that would have sit in water though for a long time. copper based is generally used for algae control if it is going to be sitting for extended periods of time in the water.

what kind boat is it?

G~

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
If in salt Copper base is the way to go.besides the algea it keeps the other life off too,like barnacles.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Well if you don't use some sort of anti fouling paint you will need to haul it out of the water every week or so and clean the bottom. Look around in the paint department at a boating store and see what else they have. If you have a West Marine up there they have a large variety of that kind of stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts