The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
This water tastes salty
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this and am in the process of getting everything set-up, I want to paint the back of the tank black, any reccomendations as to what type of paint to use??

·
This water tastes salty
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome, I am from ft. wayne area. Tank plans 75 gallon main tank, with a 25-30 gallon sump/refugium, asm g3 skimmer, thought about a fowlr system at first slowly switching to reef(maybe) or just start out as reef , unsure on lighting choices currently, want to go ahead and get the lighting required for the reef setup either way, but not sure on requirements(as far as wattage), and whether i want to get MH or PC lighting. Any help in that area?? I like softies, frog spawn, pipe organ?? Not familiar with all the sps, lps, softie names.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
I used enamel and a disposal black foam brush. The tank was eight inches from the wall so just did in in place. I used a satin black and it came out great in three heavy coats.

My prep was wiping it down with a rag soaked in white vinegar and so far it is just great.

The little can and the brush cost under five bucks.

·
This water tastes salty
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info fishnoob, seems like i can use whatever i want?? enamel/acrylic if i just coat it heavy enough. Any opinions on a black spray paint then?? as long as eveything is masked off so none gets in the tank.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Acrylic will peel off easily...I would use an enamel. Mine was just an outdoor grade in a little can at the do it center that sticks to metal. It worked out great. This was done with the water in the tank and everything close to the wall and all I did was lay an old blanket on the ground as a drop cloth.

I tried to scrape a little off after it hardened with my fingernail and it is on there.

If you use one of those foam brushes and lay off the coffee and beers you don't have to mask anything, but make sure you cover the floor. I got a few splatters on the wall as well but just scraped them off then touched up with some latex.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
if the tank isnt in place and filled, you can easiily carry it out side, tape off everything, and just wipe it down with a towel with rubbing alchohol on it. once its dry, any ole spray paint works fine, do thin coats to avoid a run, but if it runs, it doesnt matter, you cant see if from in the tank, only on the back. i used the cheapo black paint, if i scrape it, it would probably peel easy, but it sticked pretty good. so you got the right idea, just go for it! and WELCOME!!

PS... if you have an internal overflow, its a good idea to tape it off, so if anything ever jumps in it, you can see it. just mask if off with newspaper or tape. and paint the glass around it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I used enamel as well. Worked out great. Make sure you use a roller and it is best to paint with the tank on it's side for consistency. As Phish said, you can do it standing up, but if all is in the staging process, you might as well.

Good luck!

-Ken

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
DON'T PAINT!!!!

They now make this black film stuff (exactly like car window tint) that is super easy to apply. Its a water-tight bond and can be removed. It takes 10min to apply and looks FANTASTIC:

1) You take an 8oz squirt bottle of water and add 2 drops of Dawn DishWashing Soap and mix

2) You squirt down the back of your tank with the mixture

3) You apply the film and slide it around to get it where you want

4) You wipe out any air-bubbles with a small soft cloth

5) You have about 5min to slide the flim around before the glue starts to "set" the film

I'm an idiot and I applied a perfect film the first time I did it. Check some local fish stores for price (should be under $20)

4)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I just used black spray paint. The tank was still empty so I covered with plastic and tape any holes or glass that I didn't want paint on. For a 90 gallon it took 4 cans. Go slow so it doesn't run, if you apply too much it won't look right.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
HI A Big Ol Welcome to You!! I bought a can of spary paint and painted mine outside before I brought it in.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
bucket brigade said:
DON'T PAINT!!!!

They now make this black film stuff (exactly like car window tint) that is super easy to apply. Its a water-tight bond and can be removed. It takes 10min to apply and looks FANTASTIC:

1) You take an 8oz squirt bottle of water and add 2 drops of Dawn DishWashing Soap and mix

2) You squirt down the back of your tank with the mixture

3) You apply the film and slide it around to get it where you want

4) You wipe out any air-bubbles with a small soft cloth

5) You have about 5min to slide the flim around before the glue starts to "set" the film

I'm an idiot and I applied a perfect film the first time I did it. Check some local fish stores for price (should be under $20)

4)
OK we need a link and a picture of your tank!:wavey:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
go with black spray paint. it is so easy and it covers a lot more evenly without streaks.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Well, there aren't that many options, paint is paint, but you've gotten some great advice already. For my tank, I

1) cleaned with water and vinegar first the surface to be painted
2) tape off other parts of the tank, especially the inside
3) spray painted thin coats with Krylon enamel paint
4) let paint dry for about 10 minutes in between coats (did 3 coats)
5) peel off tape carefully

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Man I envy you guys smart enough to spray and mask before the tank was full and planted.

My way worked and looks great but it would be so easy to do things in the right order.:doh: Well at least nothing died yet and my rock cooked for a few months. And my long lost goby just showed up out of nowhere. Gotta take your rewards where you can in this hobby.

Oh well time to get a second tank and use these lessons learned and buy some Krylon next go. :beer:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts