The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 180 I got from glasscages.com. Tank looks great and is well braced and built. I got the oak stand and canopy unfinished. Thinking I should use exterior stain/sealer on visible places and maybe an exterior primer/sealer paint on the non-visible surfaces. Looking to protect the wood from salt creep and any water.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Better luck with something else?

Thanks in advance.

DD

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
if you don't mind could i pick your brain about Glasscages? was it a special order? if so was it as ordered? was it deliver to a local fish store or did you pick-up? if pick-up was the truck on time? i want to order from them but had a local store owner tell me horror stories about them...i would rather hear from a customer....store owners always think their products are better....Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would use marine epoxy paint on the inside....and polyurethane stain on exterior, or any stain and seal with polyurethane.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why not stain the whole thing? It would be easier. I really dont see the point of painting too. Whatever you use on top of the stain make sure it is a good seal, and do several coats. I personally like to use lacquer I have been making custom stands for customers for 10 years and have never had slat water penetrate the finish. Wipes off and look slike new every time.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The stain and poly in the interior would not be a problem it will hold up just fine. However, I like the white paint inside my stand because it makes things brighter in there and easier to see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I think some white marine paint on the inside would work well. The idea of the white making it bright inside is a great one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts