The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Pachyclavularia (Green Star Polyps)from the LFS yesterday and he said that he had had it for 2 weeks and it had not opened (not much water flow and one fluro) It was quite cheap so I bought it as I really like this coral. It is a very nice purple/mauve colour and is very rubbery and has no smell and is firm, so I think and would say that it is alive.

Its been nearly 24 hours now and it has not opened even one polyp. (I have some other pieces from months ago that are all opened). How long can it stay closed for and still live? If it was dead would it still be firm?

·
Registered
852 Posts
They can be kinda testy :) As long as they're firm, I'd give them some time. Can you see anything on the rock that might be aggravating them?

G

·
these are very hardy...although if they havent opened up in 2 weeks i might be a little concernd....just try and place them where you "think" theyd like to be and say a few hail marys and our fathers...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they were dead what would happen to the rubbery skeleton?

In other words "How can I tell if there dead"? (Besides them not opening of course)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
If indeed they were dead the purple mat would basically fall apart and disappear

Jeff

Time and patients will do it. I have one in front of a Tunze powerstream and it opens and lt blows in the current

·
Registered
808 Posts
try different areas of the tank for different flows and lighting. dont move them but every few days until you see atleast one polyp open. then you can leave them there and see if the rest open. you will definately know when they are dying out. the purple will start to fall apart. if that happens get them out asap and try to see if only part is dying and try to save the rest. they are very hardy.

HTH
Brandon & Kelly

·
Registered
70 Posts
when i first brought mine home, they didnt open for days-i was told that this was normal, & sure enough, they opened! they sometimes close up & dont open again for 2-3 days @ a time.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I would blow the purple mat with a turkey baster and get all the crud off of it and then put it in a high light area under a good water flow and leave it for 2-3 days and see what happens!;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts