The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what size output would i want to run on a my 220? would a 50mg/hr work? or do i need to go higher?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mtfatwork said:
I have a 150 I am setting up on mine.
does anyone know where i can find ratings or info? i can't find it on the net!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Matt, A 50mg unit is not big enough. You should get at least a 150- 200mg with a controller for a 220 FO....

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Personally id base the amount of ozone needed on the way that i want to introduce it to the tank rather than the amount of water that is in the tank. Seems to be a really common mistake to base it of the volume of water in your tank rather than the volume of water flowing through your skimmer.

If you use a ozone reactor it is a bit different but if you are going to use a skimmer its easy to add too much for the amount of flow you have going through the skimmer and you end up reducing the efficiency of the skimmer rather than raising it.

quoted from the reef aquarium V.3

small organic and inorganic particles often have a similar electrostatic charge since like charges repel , these particles remain in the water and are not removed my skimming . However, by using small amounts of ozone , the charges of some of these particles can be changed causing them to clump together with unlike charged particles a process known as microflocculation. These larger particles are then more susceptible to removal by protein skimming, however , if too much ozone is added then all the particles are altered and, no unlike charges remain and microflocculation does not occur. At higher levels, the ozone will also begin to break apart the carbon bonds of the long-chain polar molecules attached to the air bubbles within the skimmer, causing them to break apart and go back into solution. this is why the protein skimmer stops producing foam when too much ozone is added. for these reasons, if ozone is used in a protein skimmer the applied ozone dose should be between 0.01 and 0.03 mg o3/L of of flow through a protein skimmer per minute.

some of this all depends on what your goal is . is it to use ozone to increase the efficiency of the skimmer or is it to try and raise the ORP ? These things wont always take the same amount of ozone , doubly so on larger tanks with medium sized skimmers with low flow .

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I was just saying that in no way is a 50mg unit gonna be able to keep up with what Matt is going to be doing with the tank. He's much better off getting a bigger unit with a controller for somewhere around $100 more...

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
jeffie said:
I was just saying that in no way is a 50mg unit gonna be able to keep up with what Matt is going to be doing with the tank. He's much better off getting a bigger unit with a controller for somewhere around $100 more...
Yep 50mg on my 75 can't keep up.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
this isn't the bible on ozone or anything but if you follow their advice it isn't very much ozone in your skimmer.

if ozone is used in a protein skimmer the applied ozone dose should be between 0.01 and 0.03 mg o3/L of of flow through a protein skimmer per minute.
Keep in mind that this formula has nothing to do with ORP it's just based on using ozone to increase the productivity of your skimmer and how much it takes before it actually decreases the productivity.

I know many people use maxijets to feed their skimmers so lets pretend ya used a mj 1200 and had zero head loss. that's 290gph/1100LPH 1100*0.03 is 33 . So on the high end you should use 33mg per hour on a skimmer fed with a maxijet which is prolly somewhere around a 50mg unit without a air drier depending on the humidity. Past that they say you run the risk of changing all the molecules to the same electrostatic charge and breaking down the carbon bonds of the bubbles. so while your ORP may be going up the productivity of your skimmer is actually reduced.

My personal experience with ozone was in a 300ish gallon system with a 10" reef mania fed with a mag5 . I tee'd the air intake and used a good air pump on the ozone unit so there was absolutely no restriction on airflow into the skimmer. The ozone unit i was using was a 200mg/h enaly. I'm not sure if enalys rated output is correct or what it puts out without an air drier.

When I turned it on it almost completely shut down foam production no matter how i tried to tune it i would get very little skimmate(as compared to without ozone). Soon as i'd take the ozone off it would start producing good skimmate again, well maybe 20 minutes later. My personal experience would agree with their theory and i was prolly adding too much ozone for the amount of flow through the skimmer and i was breaking down the bubbles. I think because my tank is rather large and recirculating skimmers don't have a ton of flow through them I would have been better off using a ozone reactor to raise the ORP instead.

Personally i think too many people treat ozone like it is just a plug and play piece of equipment without a whole lot of thought put into what it is they are actually hoping to achieve by using the ozone and and what is the best method to go about reaching that goal. this is just my experience with ozone and some information i found on it so take it for what it is worth i guess : )

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
That is what I was thinking but I believe him. :)

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Irenicus said:
Wow.. I would think that would be enough for a 75?
Running 24/7 at 100%output it will only keep the ORP at about 310-320.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
ORP equals ? I have never read up on Ozone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts