The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone with a 125 or around that size, how did you set up your overflows? Can you point me to a build thread for it?

If you had to do it all over again, how would you do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dude, i tried reading through that thread and figuring out what was going on.. didn't work out so well.

That build is quite a ways out of my league...

I think I need to start a bit more at base level...

I'm thinking about attempting to drill my 125 on the left and right side for the overflows so that I can use durso's... Not sure exactly what they are yet, but I hear they're quieter and look better than hang on's and that's important to me.

What are the advantages to one type of overflow to another?

How easy is it to drill a 125 with 3/8" glass on the long sides?

My returns will just loop up and over and be covered by the canopy I plan on building...

Also, is a mag 7 enough to push the water up about 4 ft from each overflow? Or could I even use a split for the pvc from take it up in 2 places from one mag 7?

was that too many questions for one post? once i started going, i couldn't stop

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
you have a fair amount of research to do. :D

first thing first is to figure out exactly what kind of critters you want in the tank. my build was totally build around the fact i wanted SPS. so tall of the flow was designed around that. when you start getting above 100g the more you think about the flow and the critters from the beginning the better off the tank will be in the long term, not only for your sanity, but also for the critters.

G~

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
i want to drill my tank as well it is a 55, first timer here so any direction would be appreciated. ill look through your build but i just want something simple as well. two overflows in the rear and loop my returns up over the top, that way i can pipe my return with pvc to increase overall circulation in the tank.

is it a sound theory?

what is a durso?

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I most 125's should be albe to be drilled...they are normally only tempered on the bottom...the other panes are not...I would think a couple of holes drilled towards the top of the back (don't go too high so there is enough glass above them to still be structural) would work well in your situation...I'm guessing you're not at a stage in the hobby where you want to design a full blown SPS tank with super high flow like you found in Geoff's build...keep looking/reading and you'll find a combination of what you need...I would for sure consider drilling though, I'm not a fan of the siphon over the top boxes...they are too prone to failure...I would have to look up the specs on a mag7, but the rule of thumb for me is to only have 3x-5x turnover through the sump...use powerheads or a closed loop to get the other flow you need/want in the tank.

Gouch, unless you have an older 55 almost all the new ones are tempered on all panes, and cannot be drilled...they will just shatter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts