The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Lifereef 700 GPH overflow box, and I've got two questions about it.

1) Air is flowing through the drain tube to my sump. I can see bubbles coming out in the sump. Is this supposed to happen, b/c it seems like I could get more flow if there wasn't?

2) The gurgling noise is minimized with the cap and tubing, but it's still fairly noisy. How can I quiet this thing down?

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
thats the only thing with those... there loud. you can try doing a 90 or soemthing, but I just got used to it.

You can muffle it if you build a little top for the overflow. Maybe doing both would make it near silent..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pillz,

I was able to get rid of about 90% of the noise by doing three things. Now the most noise is coming from my SCWD being blasted by the Mag 9.5.

1) Adding a valve to the air tube. This solved 2 things. Air going up through the drain tube battles water coming down. This is where the big gurgling sounds come from. By slightly cracking the air valve open, you can minimize air intake while maximizing water flow. This also let me run my Mag 9.5 at full blast without overflowing my tank due to the increased flow of water through my overflow box. Sweet!

2) Stuffing spare sponge around the drain tube to disrupt waves and splashing

3) Pushing the air tube far down into the drain tube (about 6 inches).

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
i tried the sponge for awhile it works good but accumulates alot of nastiness.on my lifereef i made a cover out of a piece of acrylic,it helped alot.makes it barely noticable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts