The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 125 gallon AGA tank has 2 built-in overflows, which have 1" slip to hose barb fittings for underneath the tank. These were provided with the megaflow kits. I have talked to different people and some say 1 1/4 tubing would be better. My flow rate will be around 750-800 gallons per hour and this is on the lower end of flow rates from what alot of others are using. I purchased a pair of 1 1/4 hoses with slip cuffs, from my local pool supply store, but these do not work with the barb fittings. I guess they just slip over 1 1/4 pipe. I'm not quite sure if I want to use these. Would 1" flexible tubing be sufficient? What sort of flexible tubing do you recommend that is pretty kinkproof? If I stay with the 1" drains, it will eliminate playing around with multiple fittings. I would just use the barbs with stainless clamps.

As far as the return goes, my pump output is 1/2" and I will split this off into (2) 3/4" lines which is what my tank is set up for.

Thanks for your expected input.

·
11,345 Posts
How big is your sump???
How do you circulate water....powerheads??

For a 125 gallon tank i would up the anount of sump circulation......around double what you say you are getting.(+/- depending). What kind of return pump are you using??

I know my questions didnt exactly answer YOUR question........but we will get there. : )

Sump drains and returns should always be done as much as possilbe with flex PVC IMO.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Little Giant 4MDSC pump.
30 gallon sump with (2) filter socks.

Internal circulation will be provided by (2) Tunze stream 6000's on multicontroller.

Skimmer: H&S A150 external, fed by eheim powerhead in sump. (265 gph)
(Opted for a skimmer that actually utilizes contact time. Didn't want a skimmer that need 1500 gph rammed through it.)

·
11,345 Posts
Ok..sounds like youve got the flow covered. If you DIDNT, i would utilize more flow from the sump. I say lose the barbed fittings and just run flexible pvc. 2 filter socks probably takes up a lot of space in that small sump. I would probably try to merge the drain lines so there is only 1 going into the sump. And with the amount of flow you are talking about, you wont even need to do any creative plumbing to make the merged lines drain fast enough. It will make more space in there, and im SURE you can come up with SOMETHING else you need in your sump. : )
Hopefully the current set up can be unscrewed from the bulkhead.....To answer your original question.....the flexible tubing WILL be sufficient without changing anything, but not ideal IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts