The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my overflwo is 2 upturned elbows 1.5" on the back left and right
whats is a good way to minimze noise i was reading about the durso and stockman and full siphon and this one http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

and i would like to know what is the difference what is a full siphon whats durso whats a standpipe

right now i have no box just 2 upturned elbows

some insight/tips would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
For my overflows I use a little 1/4" air tubing in each for a vent. It get rid of the Toilet sound.
Really a Durso is just a piece of PVC pipe, with a U pipe, or two 90 degree elbows.
You basically take your pipe and sit it upright, then attach your U so it is facing the bottom of the tank and drill a vent hole in the top.
The vent keeps it from siphoning and giving you that toilet sound, accompanied by the U pipe your water will fill the "U" then overflow. This is about the quietest method I know of.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For my overflows I use a little 1/4" air tubing in each for a vent. It get rid of the Toilet sound.
Really a Durso is just a piece of PVC pipe, with a U pipe, or two 90 degree elbows.
You basically take your pipe and sit it upright, then attach your U so it is facing the bottom of the tank and drill a vent hole in the top.
The vent keeps it from siphoning and giving you that toilet sound, accompanied by the U pipe your water will fill the "U" then overflow. This is about the quietest method I know of.
what about the other methods does anyone have any input about this and is a full siphon a bad thing?

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
+1 to tots

Full siphon you get more noise. Since the gravity drain rate will outpace the return. So when it gets to a air gap it will gulp or gurgle air.

Trying to match drain to return flow is not going to happen due to both fluctuate to much to premt the gulping. Plus you run the risk of overflowing the tank if the siphon falls behind.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 to tots

Full siphon you get more noise. Since the gravity drain rate will outpace the return. So when it gets to a air gap it will gulp or gurgle air.

Trying to match drain to return flow is not going to happen due to both fluctuate to much to premt the gulping. Plus you run the risk of overflowing the tank if the siphon falls behind.
yeah but what about the herbie system or the bean one

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Both I think use multiple pipes and require a bit more. Durso with air feeds is simpler to me and can be setup quiet.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
i tried a durso last night but it started to suck so hard that it almost over flowed the sump and my mag 7 could not keep up what am i doing worng?
How high up is the drain pipe opening. Can ya get a picture. Sounds like its set low and its draining more of the tank then you want.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
The drain pipe is set pretty much the height you want your water level in the display. The pump adds water to the display and water rises and goes down the pipe. The sump water level has to be low enough to account for water in the pipes if it shuts off. Also make sure your return line is above or near the surface otherwise in a power outage it back siphons.

The drain just drains its height controls the max water level in the display. Otherwise its just a pipe the durso part just makes it quieter

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Drain is set to low. Its opening in the display needs to be set as high as the display tanks water level when full. The drain is larger to prevent overflows.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drain is set to low. Its opening in the display needs to be set as high as the display tanks water level when full. The drain is larger to prevent overflows.
It is creating a siphon and sucking the hell out of my water i ahve followed all the instuctions ive google and whatnot and checkout youtube videos but it keeps creating a full siphon

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Going to need a picture or such of the setup. Or once I'm home I can try a diagram that might help.

A siphon stops when it sucks in air. Do you have the pipe end that is turned down far below the water level?

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Yes you can/ but if you try to use a siphon it can be hard to dial in your return to match your flow to sump.

I would just vent your overflow, then use the return pump to dial in your overflow rate.
Use a ball valve, or gate to adjust your return flow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts