The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 gallon bowfront tank and instead of using the old overflow I have I was thinking about drilling the back of the tank and doing something like this pic. Has anyone used or has this set up, any feedback would be helpful

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking for the quietest method and this seems to be it. It also seems pretty easy to operate once its built.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was gonna go all the way across but i wasnt sure how to get the return back in the tank if the whole back is taken up

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I know that's the overflow I'm gonna use for my next tank. Good luck

·
Registered
773 Posts
i was gonna go all the way across but i wasnt sure how to get the return back in the tank if the whole back is taken up
I ran mine over the top. Others have drilled more holes.

I have since painted the returns black to help hide them. This way the white doesn't glow in the dark.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The old return pump i have is a via aqua va1800 and its only 480gph. Im guessing i need a much bigger one since the thing i saw said im supposed to use 1 1/2 pvc with 1" baffles for the overflow which can suck up to 2000 gph.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The old return pump i have is a via aqua va1800 and its only 480gph. Im guessing i need a much bigger one since the thing i saw said im supposed to use 1 1/2 pvc with 1" baffles for the overflow which can suck up to 2000 gph.

I'm running a mag 9.5 with 1" pipe on my 75 gallon. I've been told I could easily use a mag 7.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
single or combined?

you want each pipe to handle the whole flow of the return, just in case 2 pipes get clogged...

this system is very fail safe for the type it is...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a question. i was looking at these type of overflows on youtube and found something ive never seen before. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen it or how to do it. It was rickets reef 90 gallon day 300ish. the return lines in the tank constantly spun 360degrees looks cool wondered if anyone knew how to do this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts