The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
HOW MUCH!Ok I will take 2
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking on Ebay for an overflow box for my 20g . Can anyone give me an idea what gal per hour I would need to flow into the sump?
And what would be a sufficient flow for a return pump...?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
300 max U tube style overflow...

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about a c-siphon overflow?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
what about a c-siphon overflow?
Probably responsible for more house damage than any other piece of reefing equipment. They fail very easy, so they put a band-aid on it in the form of a pump, so now instead of waiting for the overflow to fail, you wait for the pump to fail or not work fast enough following a power outage.

You should be able to find a used Utube overflow such as a lifereef *hint hint* for about $50 or less. I ran a life reef for many years without a single failure.

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Hop !!!

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did a search with no luck.....have to keep looking.
Anyone out there have one of these for sale....?

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks....Do I need a pump or does it siphon by gravity?
And What pump recommended to return?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Siphons via gravity. Get a pump to closely match the rated flow through the over flow, minus headloss. So for that tank, get the 300gph model OF and then try to match up a pump for the return that will push about 250-275 taking into account the headloss.

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any brand names people favour here for pumps?

·
MICRO TANG
1,815 Posts
U tube and a Mag 5 or 7 pump

I ran a U tube overflow on my 75 for years with 100% satisfaction.
And I ran a Mag 18 throuth a SCWD and split to my skimmer. So the Mag 5 or 7 should do well IME

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
My goodness No mag 5 or 7... Way too much flow!!!! A mag 3 if you like mags, I really don't care for them. Ocean Runner, sedra and Eheim for submersible pumps. I really like eheims:D I'm not trying to disagree with timmy, but it is a 20 gallon tank:D

·
MICRO TANG
1,815 Posts
By all means, Please disagree, that's what this is all about:lol:

I like Mags and have never had a single problem with them. And they are the only sub. pump I've ever used so I'll not argue what one is better as I've not used any others.

And I thought flow was what what we desired? And the U tube will handle it.

My goodness No mag 5 or 7... Way too much flow!!!! A mag 3 if you like mags, I really don't care for them. Ocean Runner, sedra and Eheim for submersible pumps. I really like eheims:D I'm not trying to disagree with timmy, but it is a 20 gallon tank:D

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
We do desire flow but not really through the sump. The sump flow should coincide with the skimmers processing rate. I.E. if the skimmer can do 200 gph then you would want a flow through the sump right around the same (preferably not more). Also, too much flow in the sump can cause other problems like micro bubbles in the main tank and the slower it is the better the sump will allow detritus to settle out for easy removal. For the low we all desire, that's when we get into power heads and CLS's!

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
How much flow do you need in a 20? 1 or 2 would do it. Or a simple over he back CLS.
I may be thinking a little out of scale but still, that's not that much flow and you don't want to fill a 20g with powerheads.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Or you can run it all through the sump, not skim all the water that goes through and have a such high velocity through the sump that even baffles wont prevent micro bubbles from being returned to the tank, and suspended detritus will stay in suspension cloud the water and not be efficiently removed.;)

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow now you have me confused......lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts