The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might come off as a rookie question, but I can't seem to figure it out.

My question is about the corner overflows that have the little slots in them about halfway down

When there is a power fail or return pump fail, wont these little slots allow the water to keep filling up the overflow box? ?

With the herbie standpipe 8 inches below the water line, would the tank keep draining until its at the level of the drain pipe in the overflow box?

and wouldnt these slots allow the overflow box to just fill and not "overflow"

I dont get it lol..... help me to understand this please

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
I dont see the point. Would drain to the highest of the 2... either the slots, or the pvc. Also would hinder surface skimming. Could possibly more easily allow critters to get into your plumbing and grow inside of it causing issues. I would like to see a pic too though.

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
how does the overflow box ur talking about looks to tell u how it works, we need a pic

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i think i know what you are talking about now. if you look at one, you will see that it is actually two overflows in one. there is the one you can see, that has the multiple rows of weirs. then there is another one right behind it that dictates the water level of the system. it is this second one that all of the water flows over regardless if it came from the lower weir or the upper one.

G~

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
usually with such overflow box the hole is in the ground part of the tank, so when the water level reach the top holes in the overflow box they fall inside it then in the ground whole to the sumb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told it only drains what can flow over the top.

I was just iffy because it appeared to have slots in near the bottom as well, and thought to myself "this isnt going to work"

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
slots near the bottom? is it one overflow box or 2 one inside one? could be the outer one has slots in the bottom but the inside one doesn't .. sure it wont work if it is one phase and has slots in the bottom part

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
I was told it only drains what can flow over the top.

I was just iffy because it appeared to have slots in near the bottom as well, and thought to myself "this isnt going to work"
I think there is another piece behind it that brings the water to the top... not into the overflow right away. I dont understand the logic... maybe someone can enlighten us.

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
i think it has something to close the slots from inside doesn't it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'm not sure if you can close them. if you were to close them, then just best off having a solid one right.... there has to be some kind of reasoning behind it

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
yea, i have the same system but the overflow is hand made i did it with glass and can be easly done with acyrlic

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The overflows that you are refering with the multi-level slots are double walled. Behind the slotted front piece, there is a solid wall that goes to the top. The water in the tank can only drop to the top level of the inner solid wall.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts