The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I am in the process of converting my 100 gallon freshwater tank to a salt tank. Currently, I have a pump that is rated at 700 gph.

Also, I have the opportunity to buy an overflow box rated at 650 gph. Is there a way to make this match work? (drill an extra hole or two?) Or is the 50 gph negligible anyway?

Any suggestions would be valued greatly. ( A little kissing butt never hurts...)

Thanks!

·
Administrator
47,674 Posts
With the flow reduction due to head loss(the distance up it has to pump) you should be OK.
As a fresh water tank did you ever treat it with copper based medications??????

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
you are prolly going to be ok. you need to look at the flow for the pump at the height at which it needs to pump back into the tank. ex. the sump with the pump is on the floor, while the return for the tank is at 48". this is 4' of head pressure. more likely than not the flow for the pump at this height will be below the 650gph for the overflow.

hopefully this made sence. if not what model of pump is it?

HTH,

G~

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Little Giant external pump. I am hoping to cut down on the heat transfer by the power heads. Plus, I figured it was mmore reliable than a Rio pump.

And, no, I have never used copper treatments.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
scotty said:
A Little Giant external pump. I am hoping to cut down on the heat transfer by the power heads. Plus, I figured it was mmore reliable than a Rio pump.

And, no, I have never used copper treatments.
do you know exactly which model LG pump you have. some of these are designed for higher head pressures, so the flow might be higher than expected and you may need to throttle down the pump some.

G~

·
Registered
645 Posts
You can always add an extra overflow box if needed. As long as you current box allows for a "skimming" effect you will be fine. If it's close and you are unsure just add an additional box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts