The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I have a Profelx Model two Sump, I orderd a return pump with 656 GPH, I need help with the overflow choice, I was looking at the CPR overflows. Which one would I need to get? The 600GPH or the 800GPH? I'm just a little confused on this...

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
No such thing as overkill, you want reliability and versatility.
I don't know what type of pump that is, i looked it up, it is on the lower end range of pumps. I am not saying it is not good or wont last you. I have older style pumps on my tank, they work fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no idea. My tank with the stand is about 4' tall. Just anything. I don't wanna spend more than $200 on a pump alone.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
ok, so from sump to the top water level is about 4ft?
That would be your headloss.
You need to figure out how much flow you want, ....
1" drain does about 600gph, so you need to be able to pump that much water back up to tank, ( it can be adjusted later to slow down or speed up ), but you need to find a pump that can pump at least 600 gph at a 4ft of headloss.
let me see if i can find you an example.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, Just to be sure I mesaured it again, from the top of the tank to the bottom of my sump its excalty 4' So correct me if I'm wrong but I can get the 800 GPH overflow and get the Mag-Drive 9.5 which has 800 GPH at 4'?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think 300 GPH is good for a 55 Gallon, I wanted a little bit more for mine, thats just pref. I'm doing 600 GPH. 800 would be good too, I dont see why it would hurt.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
what is the gph on your skimmer, that should be your base gph, anything more is a waste of flow.
There are conflicting ideas on this subject, as well as many others on saltwater, LOL.
Do we just keep sump flow to the skimmer gph max, and more powerheads.....
Do i have extra flow through sump, because no mater what my skimmer processes, it is still flow.
You have to determine what your equipment can do for you.
In regards to just "flow itself" your pump should be able to return 1/4 over what your bulkhead drains, IMO.
Does any of this help?
It is not just a cut and dry figure of this and that. It sometimes, and a lot of times, takes this, that, what if, and i want this, and what is best.....
You have to fine that sweet spot that works for you and your system

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I have a 55g as well and I am looking at doing the same sort of thing. Someone was reccomending a 300gph pump and overflow.

Which should you go with? 300? 800? etc
What is the gph on your skimmer?
what is the gph on drains?
from here we can " help " with what pump.
300gph, seems ok if thats what your skimmer is processing and you have good powerheads in tank

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a coralife 125g skimmer but right now it is HOB, obviously I would like to transition that in the pump but I would also think about upgrading my skimmer to a reef octopus or something better than the coralife as well. I am just trying to start planning this stuff etc. What do you think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts