The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello TRT,

I bought a 180g aquarium off of a classified site:dance:
and it has two holes drilled into the side with bulk heads and pipes turned down, on both the inside and the outside of the tank.

my plan was to silicone a glass or acrylic overflow box around the 2 pipes and just leave it like that...
would that be ok or would i need to do something else....

any input would be amazing

thanks

·
Registered
919 Posts
hello TRT,

I bought a 180g aquarium off of a classified site:dance:
and it has two holes drilled into the side with bulk heads and pipes turned down, on both the inside and the outside of the tank.

my plan was to silicone a glass or acrylic overflow box around the 2 pipes and just leave it like that...
would that be ok or would i need to do something else....

any input would be amazing

thanks
Depends on where the holes are drilled. Got a picture? Would make it easier to come up with ideas or suggestions.

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
That is an interesting approach to over flow. Is there some kind of strainers in the intakes?

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
I was just curious, it's hard for me to see the detail in the pics but it kinda looked like there was something screwed into the intake side of the elbow. Hard to judge distance from the pic but if the power goes out and your return pump shuts off or fails that style drain will allow water to drain into the sump in enough volume to overflow it. I would thing that you could easily build an overflow barrier on that end of the tank. it is not that difficult.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes yes, sry for not explaining it better, i intend to build a glass box around the 2 pipes, the vertical wall being about an inch from the top of the tank (my water line)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so it will act just like an overflow box,BOTH of these pipes are drains, the returns are plumbed seperately driven by a mag24
im just not sure about this kind of piping/plumbing because i have only had bottom drilled tanks, never side drilled

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i thought about that but im extremly uncomfortable doing in myself (drilling)
and theres no way in fish hell that im going to drag this 400lb monster back up the stairs into my pickup and take it to get it drilled,
and i cant really afford the price tag to get a guy to come drill a hole

my question is basicly, will the box and these two drains work, without threat of flooding my basment?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Here is a question/comment. The pvc that is in the bulk heads...can the ones on the inside be turned "upside down " to "skim" the top of the water, but not drain as much? Also instead of building an over out of glass have you thought about some cheap acrylic from lowes or wherever? IMO acrylic is easier to work with than glass. But to answer your question... In my limited knowledge I would say yes. An overflow box and the two pipes should work.

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
i thought about that but im extremly uncomfortable doing in myself (drilling)
and theres no way in fish hell that im going to drag this 400lb monster back up the stairs into my pickup and take it to get it drilled,
and i cant really afford the price tag to get a guy to come drill a hole

my question is basicly, will the box and these two drains work, without threat of flooding my basment?
Assuming that the overflows work, you should be good. The upper edge of you overflow enclosure is going to determine haw low the water will drop in the main tank before it quits flowing into the sump. Look up coast to coast overflows, that is what you want to build across the drain end of the tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts