The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
make sure the box that sits inside the aquarium has water in it all the way past where the u tube dips into it. make sure the outside box has some water in it too. if this fails it may be that your return flow into the aquarium is not strong enough to get the flow neccessary to keep the overflow box on a contiuous syphon. good luck

·
11,345 Posts
i assume you have a air hose hooked up to an outlet on top and a powerhead running with a venturi ready to go to keep the siphon???

If not you need to do that and then this......

If you do it right not only will you not have ANY air in the space...you wont drink any saltwater either............haha

you need to do all of this kind of quickly becasue you are going to get dangerously close to overflowing the tank....but it will be a tight siphon going when you are done.......just in case though be prepared to shut the pump off in the blink of an eye....

start the return pump up and allow the water to begin going in the overflow..........then suck on the air hose until the water lifts over and starts a weak siphon........then blow as hard as you can.....this will clear the air tube of water AND kill your siphon..its ok.....suck again this time water should be on both sides...sometimes it only takes once but regardless keep doing this while not allowing your tank to overflow until there is no air visible and then plug the end with your finger and stick it in the venturi outlet......

it taks a little knack but that is the procedure......it will work with air in there but it will flow the best if all the air is gone........some higher powered powerheads do not require all that labor but most do......

if you are having a hard time doing it this way plug your drain going into the sump and fill it with water by hand all the way up to the top of the overflow box...then suck the air out and plug it into a venturi........start your pump and when the water level is just above the overflow line.......pull the plug.....

good luck

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Ok You want to make sure there is water in both boxes- The ends of the U tube should be submerged in water on both sides. Stick some airline tubing up into the arch or the tube. put the u tube back into the discribed potition. You want to suck all the air out of. so suck on that airline tubing. You are going to get a mouth ful of saltwtter. It does not matter if the return pump is off you just want to such all the air out, as long as both ends are submerged, it will retain water and syphon when the pump comes on. step by step

1. stick a long piece of airline tubing up into the arch of the u tube
2. Fill both boxes with water until the U tube is submerged on both sides
3. sucj on the tubing to remove the majarity of air , the move the tube around to suck out stray air bubbles or small remaining packets. At this piont there should be water in the tube. When you are not sucking, the airline should be plugged with your toung or finger so no more air is not drawn in to the tube
4. Plug in the return pump
5. check to see if there is air in the syphon, small bubbles can simply be removed by topping off in the tank/ or temoreraly incresing the water level tto get more velocity

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Fly Guy said:
Did you try plugging the drain line where it enters the sump and filling it that way?????
I think the problem is that one or more of the ends of the u tube is not submerged into water

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both boxes have water and both ends of the u tube are in the water
About 2 in in the back nasd about 3 in in the front

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
cajuninfl said:
Both boxes have water and both ends of the u tube are in the water
About 2 in in the back nasd about 3 in in the front
That is really weird that it doesn't work. Help us with a little more information. Does the siphon tube actually siphon water out of one chamber and into another? Does air get into the siphon and break the siphon action? Does the water level in the chambers ever drop while in operation? Without hearing your answeres, I would guess that there's a mismatch somewhere. Either the siphon can't keep up with the flow or one of the chamber is emptying faster than the water can be replaced.

Edit: I'm assuming that you've listend to John and have sucked all the air out of the siphon tube first. No siphon will work if you don't remove the air first.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it
Had the wife work the pump
Now what to do if power gos out
and how do i stop the gurgle noise, wife is not happy with the noise
said that it makes her want to go to the bathroom

·
Administrator
46,888 Posts
use a longer piece of airline tubing and you wont get a mouthful of SW.
Once the siphon is filled it should stay filled even if the power goes off and the whiole thing will start its self when power comes back on. Shut your return pump off and make sure that it still works when you turn it back on, if it doesn't, somethings amiss
As to the noise, theres a few tricks that help but seeing exactly how its setup will help a lot

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Like Doug said can you post a pic

Even just tell me what is the brand I framilliar with alot of them

PS Check the tube to make sure ALL the air is out, even if there is a small bubblle it must be removed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts