The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I teach a marine biology course for high school students. I recently set up a 29-gallon marine tank with a nice cast of inverts, a clown fish, 2 blue damsels and a neon gobi. I was in my room this evening and since last night, one of the anemones has moved from the large rock I put him on and settled ON TOP of a sea peach. The peach still has a vent uncovered, but otherwise, he's surrounded. A period of gentle "persuasion" didn't do a thing.

Also, I've got a sea cucumber that one of my 4 marine snails has decided to take up residence on top of. I also have a freshwater tank and the snails I have in that tank let go pretty easily if you lift gently for a while. Not so much with this guy. He was persistent!

Should I be concerned for the peach and the cucumber if the anemone and snail don't decide to seek more reasonable accommodations? If so, do you have any ideas about how to separate these pairs without hurting any one?

Thanks for any advice.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
You might be able to get the d anemone to detach with a ro/di ice cube. In regards to the snail on the cucmber what type is it? You can check out liveaquaria.com to search different snails.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be able to get the d anemone to detach with a ro/di ice cube. In regards to the snail on the cucmber what type is it? You can check out liveaquaria.com to search different snails.
It's a turban snail. I'll be trying the ice trick tomorrow when I get back to the school.

As far as lighting, it's a standard fluorescent hood light. Like I said in the original post, I'm a teacher and I bought the tank as a set (tank, hood, filters, substrate, salt, hydrometer, net, etc) AND my animals as a set (3 fish, 18 inverts) with my supply budget from a catalog, so I didn't have much say in what came in. In fact, the hood isn't even rated for salt water (the warning label on the back says so explicitly) I'm on my second light because the first crapped out thanks to salt build-up. I called up my supply company and they replaced...with the same thing!

Thanks again.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Your going to need a better light, anemones are mostly photosynthetic and will lose zooxanthellae with a standard T5/T8 fixture. What species of anemone is it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According the supply company, they are Giant Anemone, Condylactis gigantea (I received 2). They are about 2 inches in diameter around the base and maybe twice that when the tentacles are fully fanned out. The tank is only about 19 inches deep and the light is certainly brighter than the one I have in my freshwater tank. I have it set on a timer for 12 hours of light. That's insufficient?

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Doesnt really matter about what you see its how much food the corals/anemones are getting. Standard fluorescent bulbs are not made to support those kind of things and wou will deffinetely need a stronger light

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
you don't need a MH on a class room tank I think a decent 4 bulb T5 fixture will do
Your probably right for a condylactis.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
I agree that t5s will be better imo they last longer which is why I use t5s. I just recommend mh because its easly to find a used set. The chances of find a fixture that is'nt to small for that tank is slim imo via craigslist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never have any time to try the ice cube trick. Working in a high school means SOMETHING always comes up. Both the peach and the anemone seem content with the situation for the most part. I'm in talks with my department chair about getting better lighting, but budgets are tight..and after spending $100 of my own money on salt, food, another damsel and other sundry items, I'm not in the position to drop any more on the light myself. I was a little disturbed by the periodic shriveling of the two anemones, but a little research showed that it's not entirely unusual as long as they puff back up fairly quickly.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Have you tried check on craigslist for a light or check with a lcoal reef club. Alot of time members get rid of items for semi cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I got approval to purchase a better light and moments later I went into my classroom and found the offending anemone (the one that was attached to the sea peach) in awful shape: he was shriveled up and starting to look broken...I decided to sacrifice him for the good of the rest of the tank and took him out immediately, taking the time to peel him off of the sea peach. He may have been going downhill when I got him, but now at least I'll be able to get a quality light to keep the other condy alive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts