·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
75 gallon DT
eshopps 1st gen refugium/sump
650 gph no name Chinese pump
toms overflow (current) max GPH 800

I have a buddy with a large cs 202 siphon overflow that can handle 1500 GPH and i was considering purchasing it. i wanted to replace my overflow because it sucks!!!! :angry: my current overflow's grates have to be 3/4" below the surface of the water in order for the siphon to obtain adequate flow. this is because the box is 7" wide, but the grates can stick down in the water 3 inches in order to allow enough water for the siphon when increasing pump flow, the result is poor surface skimming, obviously a bad design. I posted the picture and you can see the long vertical slots on the toms box. I know i can turn my pump down but would prefer not to because I'm hardly pushing 400GPH if that, i plan on upgrading to a Taam Rio hyper flow 17 (around850 GPH at 4 feet) LOL;). my question is will my current pump be to small or slow for the large Cpr cs 202 box to keep a siphon? I know this can happen with Eshopps.

Attachments

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
why do you want to move more water through the sump. i doubt your skimmer can process more than about 300gph. i would not push more water through a sump, then what the skimmer can process. the less water going through the sump the better the chances of getting detritus to settle there instead of your display where it is a lot harder to remove. if you want more flow, then go with closed loop systems or powerheads.

G~

1 - 2 of 2 Posts