The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has been bothering me for over a year to get one of these, but he had his 10 gal tank filled with fish. He finally talked my wife in putting all his fish in her tank and to empty his. This was a suprise for me just before leaving on vacation. Also for his B-day he got a gift cert. for a local pet store (my wife I think is working against me). So after a long week of vacation and him bugging me the entire trip, we got one.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
your gonna like it, its a cool lizard. just wait till he wants one of these!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy he is huge and very cool. We have big ones like that running wild here in South Florida, Monitor Lizards and also Iguanas. Just have to be careful with the small dogs sometimes they go missing.

Vince they are cool you need to get one! If you have an extra tank your on your way. You can start your new hobby for under $75. As you can see from my tank there is very little needed to start and your on your way. Plus I went first class with the house and the water bowl. You can use an old check book box an put a 2" hole in it and a couple of good lids like plastic peanut butter lids, and paper towels for the bottom of the tank and then all you need is a screen to cover the tank about $10 and the light $20. and the gecko $40. and you are now in the hobby.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
wharyat said:
I have been really thinking about a chameleon. But pretty much any herp would be cool; I gotta do some reasearch.
whoa! better do a ton of reasearch, i use to breed some, and ran into some problems, they are very very hard to keep, even worse that SPS! but once you get the idea and get in a routine, its not bad, ill see if i can dig up some old pics. check into veiled, they are the largest/ most hardy. pretty cool guys.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Leopard Geckoes are really neat little critters, Bill! You and your son will enjoy that one. We've had a pair for about 6 years, Nicholas and Crystal, shown here. I'm told they are the only reptile that is actually affectionate and ours really are, especially Crystal. She makes a little purring sound when her throat and tummy are stroked.

Dick:)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FishDaddy said:
Leopard Geckoes are really neat little critters, Bill! You and your son will enjoy that one. We've had a pair for about 6 years, Nicholas and Crystal, shown here. I'm told they are the only reptile that is actually affectionate and ours really are, especially Crystal. She makes a little purring sound when her throat and tummy are stroked.Dick:)

Dick how did you get yours so tame? We have been tryin to hold ours for a few times a day, very short times just to get him use to us. But with my 4 year old he makes it busy and I think the gecko is scared.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
We got ours when they were very small and about 4 months apart. Just held and petted them. If yours is an adult, it will just take some TLC and lots of light rubbing it's throats and tummy. It'll just take some time with your son.

Dick:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts